• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1592 questions

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Taking apart my first 1592. Pretty much the same as a 1725, except....

....what size allen wrench does it take to remove the oil pan drain plug?

I got this engine in a Series III GT several years ago. Interior was mostly gone, with lots of surface rust, but no rust-thru and and Bondo-free. It seemed like a good vintage-racer candidate at the time. The seller, who never got it started, said he was told it had a "recently rebuilt engine" but we both knew it was a pig-in-a-poke.

Turns out with the head finally off the rebuild actually looks low mileage. The piston tops cleaned up fairly easily - and say .060. I've never come across a Rootes engine this punched out. For those with such experience, if I ever get it started, is it likely to run very hot? Also, it has dished piston tops. For some reason I thought 1592's came with flat tops. Am I mistaken?

Unfortunately, it was outside for several years with no hood or air cleaners, so it collected some rain in the cylinders. I'll hone it and see if it cleans up. At .060 over, it's gotta be perfect or its a boat anchor.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
On mine, 9/16 allen was the tool needed.

1592 are also dished, just a bit less than a 1725.

Only the 1494 has flat tops.

alpine_64

Donation Time
.60 over was the maximum rootes overbore, they wont run hot if the coolant passages are all good and clear.You can bore them out more, but you have to have a custom head gasket after .60. There are guys down here who were going 90 over and stroking to get to 2120cc on the 1725's.