• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

150CD carb rebuilders

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Restarting here... On another thread, I asked about Apple Hydraulics with respect to their carb rebuilding service. Has anyone used them? Happy or not?

Wayne responded with a recommendation for www.joecurto.com here:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showpost.php?p=74592&postcount=5

My thanks to Wayne. I ran across his site before, too. In looking at similar dollars, I'd rather have the shafts re-bushed and replaced than have the hardware re-plated.

There's also a guy in Ohio (?) that re-builds, along with making them nice and shiny. For now, I just don't want to spend the money on shiny, or re-plating, etc. For this car, at this time, I want someone who does it for a living, has good turnaround time, sells what I want to buy, and will stand behind their work. Jan and others have mentioned the current quality of rebuild kits -- that, plus available time are reasons to skip the DIY this time around.

So, anyone use Apple for carbs? Any other recommendations that meet the criteria above?

Ken

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I had them rebuild my brake booster and sent it back three times and it still doesn't work well. A friend of mine had his clutch master restored there and it didn't last - he said the hone job was very rough.

I've heard nothing but good things about Joe Curto and Paltech (in Ohio)

YMMV,
Steve

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Joe Curto is the absolute authority on S.U. and Zenith-Stromberg carbs, and I would trust him completely - the guy's been around for ages and has a long and sound reputation. He also stocks more original parts than anyone in the biz.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, if we're dealing with the UK (I was thinking only US) there are quite a few folks. I often use Burlen Spares (LINK) for carb stuff.

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just got my carbs back from Paltech in Ohio. I haven't run the car yet so I can only say they look great like they just came out of the box. He also had aluminum couplings to replace the cracked plastic ones. When I called Curto he told me he wouldn't have shafts until the end of August.
Rick

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I just got my carbs back from Paltech in Ohio. I haven't run the car yet so I can only say they look great like they just came out of the box. He also had aluminum couplings to replace the cracked plastic ones. Rick

Jeff does good work, so now he's got aluminum couplings ? I've got nylon ones, do they have enough play in them so they're really only held on by the spring pins? They do look rather new don't they ? :cool:

Tom j

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Rick,
Thanks for weighing in -- do let us know on their performance. I've been thinking about making metal couplers. It's nice to know they're available.

(And on your IT guy... is that college, high school, or elementary?) :)

And puff4/Kevin -- for my own needs, although I defaulted to US-based suppliers, I certainly wouldn't exclude UK or other... but the exchange rate, shipping cost/risk, and time would still be in the equation. It does stand to reason there would be a few more options across the pond.

Ken

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
He is in college. He should be running out of clean clothes any day now so I'm sure I'll see him soon.
Rick

Rick Young

Platinum Level Sponsor
Here is a before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.JPG
    IMG_0315.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20090617-20090617-DSC_0065.jpg
    20090617-20090617-DSC_0065.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20090617-20090617-DSC_0064.jpg
    20090617-20090617-DSC_0064.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 58

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Funny, but I never really thought about making the couplers in metal - in fact, I can't think of a single time in over 35 years of working with Strombergs that I ever had one fail! Call me lucky?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I see hairline cracks in the couplers on one pair I have, but I haven't provoked them. I think that 40 year old plastic in a hot environment probably won't last forever.

Ken