• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. D

Steering wheel

I think the center hub of the wheel broke--two big cracks--and the the horn ring and center fell out. I will try to epoxy it myself first, and then start down the road of replacement/outsourcing repair. thanks folks.
  2. D

Steering wheel

Hey on another topic--the center of the steering wheel feel out in my wife's hands today. I assume the steering wheel center is broken and I need to source a new one ?
  3. D

Overdrive

OD I have been emailing with Jeff--thanks for the email address. He says that running 90 weight instead of 20-50 will give symptoms like mine. We did put in 90 weight-- I'll report back after we switch out the oil.
  4. D

Overdrive

OD Yes topped up with fresh oil and no spots on the floor but we will check again.
  5. D

Overdrive

Od Ps Oh and does anyone have Jeff's email ? The one I have from 2013 doesn't work.
  6. D

Overdrive

OD 1) Its an original relay that Jeff included. 2) I do not hear any clicking of the relay or the solenoid. 3) I have not tested the auto cancel. 4) The OD works fine cruising along on the gas, but freewheels, and bounces in and out of OD, off the throttle. We will check the fluid...
  7. D

Overdrive

Hey folks- I bought an OD from Jeff Howarth, which was nicely crated and complete. I installed it and it works fine until the car warms up. The when the throttle is released in 4 OD, the car freewheels, and then the OD seems to engage and disengage in cycles, with the RPMs bouncing around...
  8. D

Funky handling

Thanks-- Your description of the handling captures it. I will head back to the alignment shop and try less toe in and less positive camber. We replaced the rear lever shocks with some modern style Spax, fabbing up a mount next to the leaf spring. I didn't think that could impact the handling...
  9. D

Funky handling

Hey folks- I got back to my summer car, a 62 Alpine, and had the alignment reset to stock specs after a front end rebuild. The car handles badly. Hustling it into a turn, it dodges towards the apex. When I correct, it dodges back outside the turn, then oversteers. Bushes are new...
  10. D

Vizard mod links

Any possibility I could get the template for the Vizard combustion chambers too ?
  11. D

Vizard head template

Vizard Hey thanks for the response. Its the 1592 motor, and I have two of them. One that is supposed to be low mileage and runs great (it was taken out for a V-6 conversion in San Diego) and the original that is in pieces and has worn out bottom end bearings. We plan to use whichever...
  12. D

Vizard head template

Hey folks- got the head off the 62 Alpine and thinking I might as well do the Vizard mod on the combustion chambers. I see the article in the archive but the link to the template doesn't work. Anyone have a pdf or otherwise of the template ? Daniel
  13. D

Sebring Alpine-Monterey

Harrington There was a very good V-8 Harrington. And one yellow and one red Tiger and both were pretty fast.
  14. D

Sebring Alpine-Monterey

Hey did I see you there ? There were two there weren't there ?
  15. D

Hot running series two

Alignment The guy got the settings online, and then used a laser machine to do the alignment. They very well could be wrong. He gave me a print out but (ugh) I didn't keep it. Thinking I'll bring it back to him with the settings in the Clymer manual and ask him to check it again.
  16. D

Hot running series two

Pressure and alignment Yes the pressure test makes sense I'll try it. Also agreed on the 160 thermostat--using that was a desperation move. I'll put in a 180 next summer when I start round two on the car. Thanks for the advice. One more question. After rebuilding the front and rear...
  17. D

Hot running series two

OK-- That all makes sense--yes I assumed either the filler neck is non-stock or the overflow tube was added. The filler neck looks stock to you ? Also how would I test the blow by pressure in the cap ?
  18. D

Hot running series two

Hot Series two The coolant is 50 50 gylcol mix. The car has the stock header tank, with the pressure bypass eliminated and a regular cap. I messed around getting a cap to fit and seal--still not sure its right but it feels pretty good and is a 7 pound cap. Note that the spigot on the tank...
  19. D

Hot running series two

Hot hot Sorry forgot to mention, we pressure tested the cooling system, and it held 4 pounds rock solid for a minute. My understanding is a head gasket leak would result in a pressure drop ? Oil looks good, and no slime on the radiator cap. So unless I'm missing something that isn't it either-
  20. D

Hot running series two

Folks- My Series Two is running hot. It has the 160 thermostat, and once warmed up it sits at 170 or so when idling, but when I drive it with some throttle it goes right up to 200 and blows coolant out the cap. The radiator was re-cored, all new hoses, and the plumbing looks...