• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. chard

Battery clamp

Hi I recently had an MOT, mine has the original system I think, 2 "L" shaped brackets fixed to the lid with self tappers. A bit of rubber stuck to the brackets holds the battery I don't think its a very secure system and have considered upgrading. If yours are missing I think I would but in a...
  2. chard

Cold starting

I have used unorthodox methods of starting cars too :) But with the passing years, I realised that a properly serviced and maintained car would start without drama. With the added bonus of being able to achieve the designed perfomance from the manufacturer.
  3. chard

Cold starting

I don't want to be rude...................................but you have heard of the Darwin Awards? :D
  4. chard

dropping the sump (oil pan)

Ship it over. Maybe it's the air in the UK!
  5. chard

Yup stll MPH here despite Europe!! :) The car will cruise all day with the overdrive engaged @ 70-80 mph @ 3500 rpm (110-130kph) with the odd blat up to 100mph @ 4500 rpm (160kph) sat nav verified. (the speedo and tach needle wave about a bit) :D I like to give the car an "Italian tune up" on...
  6. chard

I've had the car 3 yrs and change the oil (20/50 Classic Oil of good quality) every 12 months with oil filters, it always turns black quickly. An MG I had with a fairly fresh engine hardly used to go black at all. Strombergs were running rich now okay. I've no idea how often P/O used to change...
  7. chard

Did you find much crud in it. Worth doing?
  8. chard

Hi Guys. An odd problem, never come across it before. After an oil change the oil goes black very quickly, I know this is the oil doing its job and holding all the crap in suspension. My car (1725 SV) has always been used pretty regularly until the last 3 months where it's been stuck in the...
  9. chard

S5 engine in S2

A bit off topic. How much do these braces actually help?
  10. chard

Window keeps rolling up?

Poltergeist?
  11. chard

Valve setting

Just use the hot settings and re-adjust. You may find not much difference,
  12. chard

Carb issue? Synch issue? Both?

The throttle linkage gives the car more air not fuel hence the piston not rising. Sorted Strombergs are quite good actually. A lot easier to sort these than fit a Webber. Start with the linkage and then all the basic settings as per the WM (after tappets points plugs etc as part of a service if...
  13. chard

Jacking points

Thanks chaps. Never apologise for being too basic. As my old Dad used to say. There's things you know and things you don't :)
  14. chard

Jacking points

That's my problem, my drive isn't very level so I tend to chock the rear wheels before jacking. Perhaps I may try cutting a hard rubber ball in half and putting it on the saddle.
  15. chard

Jacking points

I had an Alpine fall off the jack when doing this. The saddle of my trolley jack does not get a firm grip on the slippery crossmember. How do you overcome this?
  16. chard

Repairing the Cubby Surround

brittle things arn't they. I used Araldite with some GRP on the back to support
  17. chard

Dashboard Stripping laquer

Lovely soft gloss. That sounds the ticket. Thanks.
  18. chard

The switch gear etc is nicely patinered, I want to keep it this way with a dash to match. I currently have a nice burr walnut repo item fitted. Looks very smart with nice wood grain but just too smart. The laquer on the original dash had cracked and fallen off so looked just tatty (hence coming...
  19. chard

Not much spray stuff available locally (thinking yacht varnish it's all brush on) so going to try some of this. http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---4176/pccode---3621
  20. chard

The laquer is flaking off off ok using patience, finger nail and craft knife to lift and "chase the edge" Veneer looks good so a quick sand and apply some fresh laquer. Thanks chaps.