• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. B

Head studs

After having a helicoil replaced( $35 ) , I was installing the studs that the manifolds attatch to and notice one of the studs won't go in all the way. Probably only two more turns is all it'd take ,but I'm reluctant to force it. Is it OK like this, should I try to grind it shorter or do I need...
  2. B

thermostat housing

Sevaral months ago I received a reworked head from Jim in S.C. It looks great ( thanks again Jim ) and I finally have some time to get going on putting my Beam back together. I will need to remove a t-stat housing from another head along with some studs and fit them to the new head. Any tricks...
  3. B

camshaft

Presently I have a stage 2 cam from SS in my SV. It's fun, but it's a strain to go over 50. I'm hoping to make my car more of a daily driver. The head's off and I figure now is as good a time as any to tackle this project. I've never done this before, but in reading the forum I believe it's...
  4. B

valve springs

Found a local machine shop and brought in both my damaged head, bent valve, and a spare head.I told him that the damaged one had been redone about 12 years ago with new valves and new springs. I asked him to let me know what else I would need to supply. New valves ? He said old valves were just...
  5. B

Engine Noise Update

Thanks to all who gave me suggestions and support. You guys are great. Well I found out the cause of that loud clacking noise - a bent valve. When I pulled the head , you could see that one valve was recessed more than the others and the metal around that one was chewed up. The end of that...
  6. B

Engine noise

After receiving help regarding my starter from several members ,I was able to get it started .Thanks again to all who helped. And it started right up. But the engine has a loud clacking noise. It was rebuilt about 10 years ago and has only about 2,ooo mis on it. It's been garaged and semi...
  7. B

'67 Series V gear reduction starter

First , thanks for the replies regarding the starter dust cap. As it turns out, I've purchased a gear reduction starter . It does not protrude through the bell housing like the original, so I'm not going to worry about the dust cap. Looks like the gear is pushed into the flywheel rather than...
  8. B

Alpine Starter Dust Cap

I was recently told by a British Auto Repair Shop that the starter dust cap is not necessary and that most folks just discard them . They left mine off and are having a difficult time locating one to replace it. How important is this part ?