• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Search results

1. Boobtube

Automatic Alpine or Convertible Minx or Rapier

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-sunbeam-alpine-5/ Needs some tweaking for being a daily driver, but it runs and has seat belts.
  2. Boobtube

1965 Alpine for sale on BaT

Thanks. It will stay on the road. Just not by me. Too many cars in the driveway. Something has to go. It's in pretty nice shape despite being called a "project" on the ad.
  3. Boobtube

1965 Alpine for sale on BaT

I'm selling my Alpine on BaT if interested. No Reserve price. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-sunbeam-alpine-5/
  4. Boobtube

Pertronix effect Tach?

Eureka! The multiple wraps worked beautifully. I was able to get the tach to work on the bench. I got it back in the car now, still working. I have no idea what created the original non-working condition. I suspect that the wire-harness, which was not supported correctly was pulling down on...
  5. Boobtube

Ammeter

OK. Thank you for the correction.
  6. Boobtube

Pertronix effect Tach?

The wire from the tach is the only wire feeding the coil. I didn't add anything. I'll try the tach using the multiple wire wraps and see what occurs. Thanks.
  7. Boobtube

Ammeter

You said you changed the alternator for an original. If the alternator that was removed was a higher amperage alternator, the previous owner probably took the ammeter out of the circuit for a reason--the original ammeters only handle about 30 amps and newer alternators put out much more juice...
  8. Boobtube

Pertronix effect Tach?

Thanks, yes, the steel clip is installed and making contact, as far as I can see. This Wavetek also does sine and triangular waveforms if they would be better. I'll give it a shot with the multiple wraps and see what happens.
  9. Boobtube

Pertronix effect Tach?

I had changed my system over to negative ground and added a Pertronix ignition with the Ignitor II module along with the matching "Flamethrower" coil. Would this effect the tachometer function? I get no movement. I reversed the two input power connections as shown on the web when I switched...
  10. Boobtube

Fuel & Temp Gauge Troubleshooting

I placed the straight 12.6 volts to the fuel gauge with the 75 ohm resistor to ground. It read as you said, a little above mid scale (a tad below the 6 gallon mark on the gauge). That would seem to indicate the stabilizer has an issue. Thanks again.
  11. Boobtube

I'll try that. I also found a solid state stabilizer for 19 bucks(including shipping) so I'll throw that in when it arrives.
  12. Boobtube

Yes, it's a SIV. Both my temp and fuel gauges are barely moving. I would have to agree that it seems the stabilizer is not stabilizing. I can't think of anything else that would explain the test results. I did the tests with the engine off. The battery is in good shape, though. The fact...
  13. Boobtube

Well, I've followed your instructions and have a head scratcher for you. Both meters barely move so I first measured the voltage from the stabilizer output and it does what you say--fluctuates from 12 to zero rapidly. I then put this voltage straight to each meter separately. They rise as...
  14. Boobtube

Wow, you read my mind. I was just logging on to find this info and voila, there is was. Thanks!
  15. Boobtube

Adding Camber Shims

OK. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
  16. Boobtube

Adding Camber Shims

How do you get the pieces to spread apart? They seem pretty fixed in their position. I've loosened the bolts but nothing is moving.
  17. Boobtube

Adding Camber Shims

Can the camber shims be added (to a Series IV) without taking apart the whole suspension? Can I just loosen the two bolts holding the upper control arm enough to slip in a shim or two? Or is it under too much tension to spread apart the arm from the frame?
  18. Boobtube

postive to negative ground with alternator

Ah. I see. Thanks.
  19. Boobtube

Thanks Tom, I'll switch that loop around. I'm still a bit confused as to how this tach actually works and why the loop direction is so critical. It would seem that a pulse is generated in either direction of current flow so why does the direction of the loop make a difference?
  20. Boobtube

I'm doing both a switch from positive to negative ground AND replacing the generator with an alternator(actually, a dynamator). I wanted to keep the tach and have changed the two internal connections for this. But I see in some of the writeups, that the direction of the loop in the back of the...