• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Push rods-Exhaust valves

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I noticed two different p/n for the 1725 push rods what is the difference? While the head is being repaired I want to go ahead and replace everything I can. The head on the car is not the spark plug "tube" type rather it's the "channel" style so no oil collects by the plugs. Would a different head mean I need different push rods?
Also I'm looking for a new set of exhaust valves SS is out of them at this time, and on another note anyone know if the valve seats that Rick is selling are hardened? I ordered some yesterday but Rick is on vacation and they couldn't tell if they're hardened or not.

Thanks, Tom j

See you guys at the SOS ....w/o an Alpine:(

mbruskin

Donation Time
I have a similar head and can't find where to get valve springs. Did you get new ones or will you reuse your existing springs? I believe they are shorter than the valve springs on the other tube type spark plug heads.

Murray

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm not going to replace the springs, actually I didn't even think about that! Mine has a double spring for each valve, one inside the other. I'm sure someone will chime in on where to find new springs.

Tom j

muzzagod

Donation Time
There are two types of push-rods, one is larger in diameter (about 3/8") they are hollow and lighter. The other one is approx 5/16" diameter, solid and heavier. Both are the same length. i have gone over to the larger diameter and lighter ones for my hill-climb and sprint events car.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The larger dia hollow push rods are from the 1725 Holbay engine.
http://dodgealpine.yolasite.com

Couldn't tell you about Holbay, but in general, Series Alpines used the wider, hollow push rods. The only thin, solid ones I've found were in U.S. fastback Alpines.

It's possible that very late Series V's switched to solid rods around the same time they switched heads, but no one's put forth a part number yet to back it up.

If the hollow ones are lighter as suggested, those are the ones I'd go with.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's possible that very late Series V's switched to solid rods around the same time they switched heads, but no one's put forth a part number yet to back it up.

Nope. I've got an original SV with the later (non-tube spark-plug holes) head and it has the same hollow push-rods.