• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Will hood Clear the Edelbrock?

AlpineII

Donation Time
I picked up an Edelbrock 390 CFM to put on an Offenhauser manifold for my Series 3 V6 project. Does anyone have suggestions as to what air cleaner set up I could use without modifying the hood?

Thanks

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
I picked up an Edelbrock 390 CFM to put on an Offenhauser manifold for my Series 3 V6 project. Does anyone have suggestions as to what air cleaner set up I could use without modifying the hood?

Thanks

Eddie,

I don't believe Edelbrock ever made a 4 bbl. carb smaller than 500 cfm.

chris

Donation Time
I used a Holly 390 with an Edelbrock air cleaner. To make it clear, the base needed to be trimmed down.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 45

AlpineII

Donation Time
It is the Holly 390 carb. Too many long days, too many projects and was not thinking straight. I was concerned there may be clearance issues with the height of the Edelbrock air cleaner I have.

Jim E

Donation Time
Have read in more than one place those edelbrock air cleaners are fire hazards. I do not know how true this is or if it is just a myth

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
They are a fire hazard, because they have a thin foam pad, that isn´t fire proof. The other reason I don´t like them (and I used one on my first V6 Alpine), is because they only folter out rocks and small kids.

When I took it off to do a little carb work on my Alpine, I saw a film of very fine grit inside the throats of the carburetor. That fine grit will kill the rings in short order. I think they give a false sense of security. If you live in a dusty part of the country, I would replace it as soon as possible.

Jose

p.s. They do look nice, but pretty is as pretty does.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Since I'm not at the point of putting an air cleaner on my car, which one is the best to use. Both in terms of filtering and clearing the hood?
Thanks!
Steve

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

As I am not a V6 discipal, how much clearance is there under the bonnet with the V6? I assume it would be similar to a Tiger. As pictured previously, the Edelbrock filters do the job or would a drop base filter assembly work? That way a higher filter element could work.
When the Edelbrock filters light up, it is usually due to lack of oiling (or other engine issues), but most filters can do that. The oil acts as a retardent and catches the grit. Each to their own though.

Regards, Robin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
To clear the hood on the V6 with the Holley and Offenhouser manifold, you will need to use a drop base filter housing, and no more than a 2" high filter. There isn{t much room under the hood on the Alpine. What saves us, is the shape of the hood. which is curved side to side and this gives it enough hight to in the middle, to clear an air filter on the Holley.

Jose