• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

1st time valve adjustment

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
210142192_4051665364910190_6324982214648489873_n1.jpg

Granpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Bill Blue suggested using the crank (if you have one, I made one) to turn the motor. I find I can get a cylinder on top dead center by feel. Easy to find which one it is by shaking the rockers. Only one cylinder will have both rockers loose. Adjust that one, then proceed by firing order, 1-3-4-2. A thin wiped film of oil on top of the gasket will let you reuse it (it won't stick to the cover). My car needs very little valve adjustment, but if you adjust yours a lot, you'll get really good at it.......
How did you make your own crank? I need to do my valve adjust and don't have crank. If you've got specs on how you made yours would you be willing to share?

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
How did you make your own crank? I need to do my valve adjust and don't have crank. If you've got specs on how you made yours would you be willing to share?

Mine is stashed in the trunk next to the spare tire. Looks like/doubles as a jack handle

Fits into the hole in the front of the car

52876538430_bfa92598ae_b.jpg

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
I will measure and post. It was a four-foot piece of round bar with a turned-down nose ending in a pointed end, It had a 1/4" cross rod and two bends for the crank. More info to come!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I measured the head parts of a starting handle for another member in the past. Dug out that info below.

Starting handle annotated.JPG

Handle diameter (A): 0.628" (probably was 5/8" without paint)
Length of cross pin (B): 1.10"
Diameter of cross pin (C): 0.22"
Center of cross pin to handle end (D): 0.68"
Width of tapered section (E): 0.225"
Ending diameter of tapered section (F): 0.375"

If you have the original crank nut that accepts a starter handle, you can put a deep 1-5/16" socket on it instead. You may or may not be able to fit the ratchet on the socket and clear the radiator. If spacing is a challenge, use a long socket extender (or two) to go through the starting handle crank hole in the front valence.

Some 1-5/16" socket options mentioned here: https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/crankshaft-nut.31412/

Mike

Last edited: