• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

There's no accounting for ______.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Hood Scoop attached to this monstrosity is the very reason I have had such difficulty doing a 4.0 OHV V6 with factory Fuel Injection.

Trying to keep some re-sem-blance to the Alpine is important to me. Otherwise this is what you get for not perhaps , planning ahead.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Hood Scoop attached to this monstrosity is the very reason I have had such difficulty doing a 4.0 OHV V6 with factory Fuel Injection.

Trying to keep some re-sem-blance to the Alpine is important to me. Otherwise this is what you get for not perhaps , planning ahead.

That hood scoop is about styling, not engineering. The GM 4.3 V6 is a SBC 350 V8 with one cylinder left out on each side and is only slightly (about 5/8") taller than a SBF V8.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'd rather have it as a V-6 S-10
By the way does anyone know off hand the year of S10 that has the desired 5 speed. There's a 4 cylinder one that is free to me...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
That hood scoop is about styling, not engineering. The GM 4.3 V6 is a SBC 350 V8 with one cylinder left out on each side and is only slightly (about 5/8") taller than a SBF V8.
In my case it is engineering not styling. I can't lower the engine enough (engineering) to utilize the factory FI without having a monstrosity (styling) like PIC'd in POST 1. Styling will eventually be accomplished, After the Engineering!!

ASk me how that will be accomplished:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Often the engine (block, heads, intake manifold) all fit. It is the stuff you have to bot on that creates the problem. Stuff like carbs, air cleaners, AC pumps, distributors create the mischief. On my first swap, the Pinto engine, I had to use a hood scoop because the turbo sat about 1/4" too high. Sometimes the attempts to accommodate the ancillaries are so extreme, it puts the lie to the claim "It all fit", or "I got it in there".

Bill

canbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
If a stock hood. or one with a small hood scoop would fit, it would be a decent price for a driver, but there is no way that would work with the current engine location. I did contact the guy, and that is the way the car was when he bought it. It is all metal btw. A friend of mine, when we were in our 20's, used to have a ridiculous reverse hood scoop on his Tiger with a cut out heart. He'd want me to come along for a ride because he couldn't see past the scoop to make right turns, so I had to tell him what was happening on the right side. It should never have been street legal. And to top it off there was absolutely no need for it as he has a regular manifold and 4 barrel.... You could parked a 21' tube TV in it...:)

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I have a contact in Hollywood that Transformers 46 is in the planning stage and ……

alpine_64

Donation Time
I have a contact in Hollywood that Transformers 46 is in the planning stage and ……
Given the look of this I gather transformers 46 is battle of the inbreds .... Clearly this is the result of 2 very closely related robots ..... :oops: