• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Smooth Line Top

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
UPDATE TO THREAD 2/17/2024

Withdrawn from Sale due to fitment issues noted below.

Hi Folks,

Shortly after the turn of the century, I purchased a Smooth Line Standard Hardtop. I opted for the black interior which features a black carpet like material as a glued in headliner.

After nearly 8,000 days since the purchase, I have come to the sudden realization that I am not going to use this top.

I paid around a grand for it back then and, as you may or may not know, Smooth Line went bankrupt 2022.

I am asking $400 for local pickup. I would be willing to travel up to 100 miles from Huntsville Alabama to meet or deliver for an additional $50. I am willing to ship at the buyers expense.

I did a test fit of the top two years after the purchase and found the area on the top behind the door glass, commonly referred to as the "B Pillar" did not meet up with the car body. There was a significant gap. I used a pickup truck expandable cargo bar to expand the B Pillars to meet the body and it worked pretty well. The top is fairly flexible along this dimension. As you'll see in the photos, its close to matching up and I don't think it would be troublesome to make it work. A cargo bar might be of assistance.

The top has never been painted or prepped for painting. There are a few scuffs on the top as you'll see in the pictures. None are severe or scratched. Just some jostling against the container when it was shipped. There are a couple of imperfections in the headliner as well from shipping.

I even have the original installation instructions.

There's also a home made caddy for the top. It could stand a little more padding to protect the top once its painted.

Don't hesitate to reach out with questions or comments.

And yes, my garage is trashed!

Top3.jpg

Top6.jpg

Top7.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The top misfit at the "B" pillar seems to be a result of aging, unsupported fiberglass. Mine was so distorted the rear glass popped out. I brought it back into shape using a spreader bar and a heat gun. Not a very quick process, I worked on mine (prolly 40 years old) for a month or more. Now, the spreader bar is installed whenever the top is off of the car for more than a few weeks. Pretty nice tops, lightweight, easy to mount, remove and store.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
The top misfit at the "B" pillar seems to be a result of aging, unsupported fiberglass. Mine was so distorted the rear glass popped out. I brought it back into shape using a spreader bar and a heat gun. Not a very quick process, I worked on mine (prolly 40 years old) for a month or more. Now, the spreader bar is installed whenever the top is off of the car for more than a few weeks. Pretty nice tops, lightweight, easy to mount, remove and store.
Bill
Bill iirc you also found better seals for the side windows?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
N
Bill iirc you also found better seals for the side windows?
Not really. I was able to modify two seals, glue them together to form a decent, not good, seal. It seems to be okay in the rain, but the drivers side window whistles in my ear anytime the window is rolled up and the speed is better than 50mph. The main problem is the tight arc of the Alpine glass. As the rubber is bent around the arc, the seal is distorted. Well, I conquered that problem, created another.
Bill

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I'd be interested if you were closer. Shipping to California would be insane on this. If it wasn't, I'd be in on it :(

thill35803

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am going to withdraw this ad. I decided to attempt a fitting to the car today based on Bill's response above and its going to take more that just the spreader bar to make this fit. I am going to withdraw the ad and plot my next move. Sorry for the mistake.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom, the spreader bar was just the begining. My top had terrible fit around the windows. Like it rested on the windows with the bottom of the about an inch above the body. So I did a lot of surgery to the fiberglass. Mostly to get decent gaps between the side glass and top. Maybe a touch around the bottom to improve contact with body. Can't remember for sure, been a couple of hospitalizations that were hard on the memory. Remember, it is only fiberglass so stuff removed in error can be easily replaced.

Bill

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Personally, I'd get the bottom soft top assembly that bolts into that section, drill a hole in the sides of the soft top and run a black bolt or some sort of vanity bolt through an L bracket attached to it it and tighten it so it forces the sides of the top to form out where they should be and behave. It'll probably take a bit more than that, but at least you got the form and it's secure on the sides of the car. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding your problem and knowing me...