• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

To store or keep operational

Acollin

Donation Time
Hello all
1966 series v mostly stock

my plan is to keep my car operational throughout the winter. Starting it with some regularity and moving it around when weather permits.

My question is: what is better for the car? —- keep it operational with minimal use or go though some process of hibernation?
Thanks

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
If we (upper midwest)didn’t have to deal with the enormous amount of salt they spread on the roads up here I would like to do the same. Gets into every nook and cranny which is hard to wash out. Only takes a couple of winters and the sheetmetal disappears. I do try and start them 1/2 way thru winter to keep the fluids moving at operating temps.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
I add some sta-bil, put it on a charger every few weeks and toss a small package of mothballs under the car, and keep a lightweight indoor cover on it..

I often get a warm enough/dry enough/salt free enough day or two thru the winter to get it out for a short drive.

52416099255_f133be2e55_c.jpg

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Don't start it up unless you are going to drive it long enough to get it to full operating temperature - minimum 15 to 20 minutes. Anything less than that, and you are doing more harm than good. There is a lot of moisture created when burning fuel and it takes a while to cook it out of the engine and exhaust system.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I will treat mine the same as I do my boat. Change fluids, add stabil, pull the battery, cover and let rest till spring

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
We drive our car two or three times a week at least all year round. It doesn't matter if it is raining or snow on the ground, we use her. Every Spring people pull their cars out of winter hibernation and spend the next couple of weeks (months?) sorting out seized brakes, clutches, leaking hydraulics etc. We don't ever have that.
People say aren't you worried that the salt will make her go rusty? but we have already rebuilt her from a totally rusted out wreck! If a panel ever goes rusty again (which I doubt) we will simply replace it. I always say to people think of your age and how long you are going to have this car for, "What are you saving her for?" I would encourage everyone to drive their Alpines all year round, it is much easier and will cause you less problems.

Tim R

Attachments

• Critix Pics 015.jpg
    Critix Pics 015.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Critix Pics 016.jpg
    Critix Pics 016.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 46

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Don't start it up unless you are going to drive it long enough to get it to full operating temperature - minimum 15 to 20 minutes. Anything less than that, and you are doing more harm than good. There is a lot of moisture created when burning fuel and it takes a while to cook it out of the engine and exhaust system.
With the Alpine, as well as the motorcycles, I like to start and run them until they show a decent reading on the temp gauge and then a few minutes after that. I keep a smart charger on the batteries and add either Seafoam or Stabil to the gas. I don't cover them because mice seem to like covered places better.
My neighbour says don't use Stabil. When I couldn't start the snow blower (snow is that white stuff in Tim R and Ernestos pictures) I tore it down and found gelatin like gunk in the carburetor float bowl. He says its the Stabil. I cleaned it out, added fresh gas and it started right up. Has anyone else had this negative side effect with Stabil?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I must be a very lucky fellow. I never add anything to my fuel systems and so far no problems.

Only 95 Octane NON (whatever that stuff is) to ALL of my gasoline powered Alpines; Lawn Mowers, Weed eater; chain saws etc.....

A couple weeks ago I decided to cut down a large oak that was leaning toward my shop. The Chain saw had been put away about four years ago dry. I filled it up with 95 Octane and added bar oil for the chain, a small squirt of starter fluid and pulled.... started on fourth and ran perfectly for the job. Now THAT Would NOT have Happened with the "other" crap forced on us by our government. Probably would have had the carb rebuilt first....

Life is wonderful if you own a Sunbeam or two :)

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
My SIV is a daily driver but I don't have snow here, just fuggin rain and 30-40 degree cold at this time of year. Can't complain much but without a hardtop I still do lol.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
We park the Alpine in the basement during the salt season. Do not take it out unless we have had a nice rain, enough to wash the roads clean. Don't do anything to prepare for that except disconnect the negative battery cable.. I have found that modern batteries can stay charged 6 months, no problem. Same with gas. I honestly don't know anything about the chemistry of the gasoline. I use (mostly) Shell, the pumps say nothing about ethanol. Don't know what that means.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
With the Alpine, as well as the motorcycles, I like to start and run them until they show a decent reading on the temp gauge and then a few minutes after that. I keep a smart charger on the batteries and add either Seafoam or Stabil to the gas. I don't cover them because mice seem to like covered places better.
My neighbour says don't use Stabil. When I couldn't start the snow blower (snow is that white stuff in Tim R and Ernestos pictures) I tore it down and found gelatin like gunk in the carburetor float bowl. He says its the Stabil. I cleaned it out, added fresh gas and it started right up. Has anyone else had this negative side effect with Stabil?
I use Stabil in my cars.. Get the tank low...put a full bottle in.. Then fill with the premium petrol to mix it through. Then the drive home ensures it gets through the lines and into the carbs...no negative issues and made starting after long layups much easier.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't think Stabil can stop the 10 to 15% Ethanol from damaging rubber or absorbing water. Totally agree with running the car monthly not idling in the garage. Clearly it would be best to drain the fuel if there was also a low point.
Boats will have water separation filters which help.
That depends if we're talking boats or yachts. In either case anything with a motor it's use it or lose it they say. There's fathoms of knowledge on winterizing boats. Grab some of that knowledge and make it fit your situation..
But Stabil is a good add as well as stop all air from entering the tank. I'm not very proud of my Home Depot fix but I use a inch and a half clean out stop from the plumbing department because the gas cap is vented always allowing gas to evaporate and more moisture to intrude into the tank.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Yesterday we did 338.23 miles (recorded on tracker so 100% accurate) in Alpi, almost all on the motorway. Top speed was an actual 80mph (whoops), most of the time we were sat at 70mph. We went from Hythe in Kent to Wimborne in Dorset and back again.
The car used 40.94 litres of petrol which is 9.01 gallons (U.K.). That equals 37.54 miles per gallon (U.K.)
This kind of run on a cold crisp day will have done the car nothing but good. Before we fitted the Club Weber Carb set-up the petrol tank was virtually empty and we were refilling at around 260-270 miles. Now we get well over 400 miles from a tankful and the performance is better throughout the range. In July we did 1,300 miles and in August we did 1,000 miles. We do this particular 300 mile+ trip at least once a month so it didn't take long for the carb and curved inlet set up to pay for itself in the massive fuel savings that it delivers!
Tim R

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 11.16.31.png

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Life is wonderful if you own a Sunbeam or two :)[/QUOTE said:
When I met Ian Spencer and Jan Servaites at the 2004 SAOCA Invasion they inspired me to have as many Sunbeams as you wish. A tour of the "Bat Cave" in Tipp City, Ohio gave me the vision. Life is wonderful and CRAZY o_O if you own a Sunbeam OR TWELVE. Sheesh - There has to be one or more hoarders in a Car Club.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
At one time, Ian & I had 6 Harringtons in the furniture store basement (aka "Bat Cave"), and about 5-6 Alpines + Tiger and misc. parts to fill up a garage.
Both Eric's 2 HLMs and Bob Webb's HLM come out of that stash.
Jan

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yup, that's the way I remember it. This was just after I got My Promotional Harrington Le Mans. Ian let me use his Harrington Alpine which inspired me to put twin DCOE 40s on my HLM while completing the restoration. Now I'm going to install the same on the newly acquired HLM and the 1962 #41 Sebring Factory Works Alpine.

alpine_64

Donation Time
. Now I'm going to install the same on the newly acquired HLM and the 1962 #41 Sebring Factory Works Alpine.
Naughty Jerry...not on the Sebring car... Im expecting you to port a Zenith manifold amd rother put on 40mm humbrr Zeniths... Or the weber ( ich?) single down drafts and hide under the zenith filters