• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Just bought a 1967 alpine with a 302

bpthomas

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi everyone I am new to this board as I just bought a 1967 Alpine with a 1972 302 Windser and 1964 toploader 4 speed and I am trying to determine what rear end is in it. T he code on the rear end is C4HA 004. there dosnt seem to be a lot of info on that number. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bpthomas

Silver Level Sponsor
bpthomas,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your support.

Congratulations on your find.

As to your axle, I'm not a Tiger expert, but I think it's a Tiger rear.

If you'll read the entire description of the car sold in this link, it describes the rear as OE to the car and carries the same code.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjpl_-xhYH7AhVxZjABHQi4CdEQFnoECA4QAQ&url=https://www.fantasyjunction.com/sold/1965-sunbeam-tiger-1/overview&usg=AOvVaw0OrsJ26qbUbi9jAuxlT4fS

Hope this helps,
wow I wasn't expecting that so it a dana 44 I wounder if it is limited slip and what gear ratio it is

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Tiger rear axle is a Salisbury 44 which is sort of a British first cousin to a Dana 44. Some of the parts interchange and some do not.

Factory Tiger rear axles had a 2.88:1 gearset and an open differential. The 2.88:1 ratio is not as silly as it sounds; with factory diameter rear tires (about 22.5"), 70 MPH in 4th gear is about 3,000 RPM.

There were other gear ratios and limited slip differentials "back in the day", but they are hens teeth and $$$.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
All tiger rears have a date and serial # stamped into somewhere on the bottom. Generally goes something like " H64 576 " the H64 is the month and year and the 576 is the rear end # assigned to a particular car.