• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Switch Position

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Simple question- are the dash switches supposed to be in the up position when off, or down? I would presume they all should be consistent, whether two way or three way. Thanks, David

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I don't know where I heard/read the English logic behind the switch but it's ...
About the possibly of accidentally turning them off while reaching for the lighter or something else.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
I thought up was off, but it is so counter intuitive that I had to check. Should have kept score as I looked at all the cars in Toronto! I bet at least half are up being off.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is C&P from Wikipedia about switch orientation;

Orientation

The direction which represents "on" also varies by country. In the US, Canada, European countries, Russia, etc., it is usual for the "on" position of a toggle switch to be "up", whereas in many other countries such as the UK, India, Australia, New Zealand (Commonwealth countries) and Ireland, it is "down". (In multiway switching, the correspondence between a single switch's state and whether lights are on or off depends on the state of the other switch[es] in the circuit.)

YMMV,

alpine_64

Donation Time
The original factory spec as stated is up is off.
You flick down to turn on, same as UK and commonwealth light switches.

I go with the logic of it's easier to flick something down to turn it on rather than off.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
My Irish brother inlaw explained it " You turn the switch down to bring the light down". Granted it was a light in the house, but same theory.

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
In any movie where the plane's/rocket's engines are being turned on, they usually flip the switches up dramatically....

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I imported a BMW 3.0 Csi in the 80s .
Part of the Federalization was adding all the completely missing dash function lettering and switch functions.
I'm sure as a personalized/modified car you can do what you want.
My Cannon and rockets fire in the US position as they were added over here. On my motorcycle I carry a spark plug in the left pocket... :)