• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radio repair

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,
Anyone has an idea of who can repair an original Rootes radios in my SV? It turns on, pilot light comes on but no sound. Took it out connected speakers directly to the radio, still no sound.
Laurent

Acollin

Donation Time
I will assume you have clean all connectors/grounds and have attached an decent antenna and are in a spot where reception is good. Consider another set of speakers before you send it out for repair. Unless these radios have been abused there is little to go wrong— although they do die.
Look in a Hemmings motor news for one who could do the service— the problem is you may pay more for the repair than buying a working used one. I will do a little looking too. These placed who service these sorts of electronics used to be all over the place.

loose_electron

Donation Time
Modern electronics has become a throw away rather than fix mentality.

Google "classis car radio restoration" and there's a bunch of people that do this sort of thing. Good thing is you can mail the radio to them.

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
OK great, thanks guys, one more question. On an original SV Sunbeam, where were the speakers located? Only in front each side of the car next to the driver and passenger feet? No speakers in the back right?

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK great, thanks guys, one more question. On an original SV Sunbeam, where were the speakers located? Only in front each side of the car next to the driver and passenger feet? No speakers in the back right?

The speaker (AM only/mono) for an Alpine was part of the radio assembly that mounted under the radio in the center of the dash. I have seen an original radio, speaker and bracket assembly sell for well over $500. There were never speakers mounted in the driver/passenger kick panels. You can find examples of the correct radio assembly installation online.
Rick

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
OK, then I think I have the original radio and mono speaker set up (see pic). Then, the speakers in the kick panels must have been installed by someone after wards.IMG_9049.jpeg

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
Just read it, on the number 3 console, he is asking if the pictured console is a Series 3 with a ''?''. I think not. Based on what I have seen so far, the no. 3 pictured is a Series 5 like the picture I poste higher in this thread.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Just read it, on the number 3 console, he is asking if the pictured console is a Series 3 with a ''?''. I think not. Based on what I have seen so far, the no. 3 pictured is a Series 5 like the picture I poste higher in this thread.
Your console was used in late series 3 to the SV ( though another version of a console and speaker with a different radio was used in sv)

The radio console was made by stanpart ( standard triumph) and was used in the herald and vitesse but they used different mounting hardware and the radio faceplate had a flange mount at the top

Alpi67

Gold Level Sponsor
So to your opinion is the one picture above a correct SV or was it different or did some SV had this type and some the other type?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The one in your car is the correct console for a series V alpine. It was both the official rootes special accessory radio console and also listed in the USA as the LAT optional radio console.

Late in SV and Tiger production they also offered the smaller console with a different radio ( thr smaller rubberised radio mount and smaller speaker grill as shown in the radio article by ian)

Your radio also appears to be the correct for usa market Automobile as found in the siv and most sv.