• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Exhaust Hanger

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
On a drive last night, my IV rattled from the bottom when I accelerated, when I went over a few speed bumps and when I slowed down. I've had this problem for a long time from a rusted exhaust hanger that holds up the exhaust pipe itself. So I'm trying to troubleshoot and fix it.

It's not stock and I'd like to know roughly how far down the muffler is supposed to hang from the bottom of the trunk. I have two holes in the trunk floor, so I'm assuming the car originally had the 'v' bracket that I saw from a catalog page. Right now I'm running a single rubber piece attached to an exhaust clamp attached to an eye bolt.

I'm not looking for stock, just something that will work. What's everyone using and can some folks post pics of what they have so I have a good idea of how to go about fixing this?

Thanks in advance!

mikephillips

Donation Time
Well, on the L/H side of the trunk floor, as you face forward, there should be welded on L shaped brackets. The hang down about 1.5 inches and have a hole through the middle which is about 1 inch down from the trunk floor. They're positioned on the edges of the lower part of the trunk floor stamping where the "U" shape ends at the back. This puts the holes for the rubber mounts about 6 inches apart. The V should be attached to the resonator/tailpipe so already at the correct angle and length. They go together with a pair of rubber mounts that has a stud bonded to each side so that the holes in the L brackets and the V are parallel to the ground. Now I have tended to remove the bonded on studs and run a bolt through as I have had the bonded on come loose from the rubber mount. Not original but I don't have to worry about them while installing/moving the exhaust or later road vibration.

ernestovumbles

Gold Level Sponsor
Dont know if it helps, but here are a couple shots of my SIII.
This is how I got it.. no idea when it was done.
If you need a different angle, let me know.

51691467454_37c1d5d1f6_b.jpg

51691677595_5a66beb7e8_b.jpg

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I believe that the original Rootes design is very poor. The cotton reels are supporting the weight of the exhaust across their length and the two bonded faces are the weak spots. As a result they routinely sheer off when one of the bonding at the faces gives up. I've changed loads over the years.

What I do now is to make a small bracket that turns the rubbers through 90• (and I also put another cotton reel at the front of the back box by welding bracket to the boot floor and fix an extra exhaust clamp to the pipe just to spread the weight a little).

Attached this way at the rear the bottom of the cotton reels are screwed into an L shaped plate that is bolted to the original mounting on the body. The rubber sits on this and a bar goes between the top of the two cotton reels and the back box hangs from this bar. The back box is fixed rigidly to the bar which then sits on the two rubber cotton reels. A lower bar goes UNDER the tail pipe from one cotton reel to the other but doesn't attach to the back box. That is there so that if the cotton reels should ever fail the back box would just drop a very small amount and then be 'caught'. I have run like this for several years with no further failures.
Tim R

P1140142.JPG

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks gang! Both of the spots under the trunk floor where the hangers are supposed to be were broken off. I'm in the process of coming up with something that I can bolt in and attach the muffler to.

Right now my muffler is attached to a rubber piece and on a large eyehook bolt that I've bolted tight into the trunk floor.

I can see that I need the muffler to be totally attached to the car by metal with a rubber bit to help vibrations. I don't have the stock muffler V but it sounds like that would be the best way to go with the mods y'all suggested.

I'll fix something on the Alpine using two eyehook bolts and hang it as close as I can to how yall have it and run it again this week and see how it goes. The shakedown drives are bringing a lot to the forefront for me to fix and work out and I appreciate the help and advice!