• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mix water with antifreeze?

mboon1985

Donation Time
I am asking for my dad, a new Sunbeam owner in Arizona, who can't find an answer for this.

Does he need to mix water with the antifreeze? Ratio? Weather wise, he's in Phoenix.

65beam

Donation Time
50/50 blend of water and anti freeze. Pre blended product is your best bet since it's blended using deionized water and has additives to prevent corrosion,etc. Walmart is probably the cheapest price. Brand is not a problem since there are many brands blended by a hand full of plants.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
You can buy pre-diluted antifreeze at most auto stores these days if you don't want to mix it yourself.
Cost is comparable for the non-diluted , but realize you're paying for water.
Cheers!
Steve

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
I'd try tp get the 'green stuff', ethylne glycol. There are newer formulations but EG worked great when the cars were new. Why chance a bad reaction.

Anti- freeze does more than protect from freezing. It also contains corrosion inhibitors and has a higher boiling point than pure water.

greenbean

Donation Time
There is also a product that the hot-rodders use that, IIRC, was like a purple substance that was added to the anti-freeze to help keep the car run cooler. For the life of me I cannot remember what it is called. Most radiator shops sell the product.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's called water wetter. I've never used it, but for some reason have a few bottles on the shelf!
Wonder where they came from?
Cheers!
Steve

RootesRooter

Donation Time
When you see an aluminum Alpine head with badly corroded water passages you know it came from a car whose owner wasn't using antifreeze.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
In the Alpine engine you have multiple different metal including steel, aluminium and copper. Only use distilled water and Blue anti-freeze mixed 70/30 - 50/50 depending on where you are driving. NEVER use Red OAT anti-freeze or mix it with the Blue (it can turn to a semi solid jelly), NEVER use straight tap water (as the minerals in it can act as a c catalyst and massively accelerate internal corrosion). Things like water wetter etc are much more expensive that just using distilled water and Bluecol.
Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
There is also a product that the hot-rodders use that, IIRC, was like a purple substance that was added to the anti-freeze to help keep the car run cooler. For the life of me I cannot remember what it is called. Most radiator shops sell the product.
Most of these items are good for short periods of use but for these cars use a preblended 50/50 green anti freeze. It's blended using deionized water and contains the needed additives. If you need to top off later you can use the all makes / all model coolant. It has a light amber color and will take on the color of the antifreeze in use and will not cause any adverse effects since it was engineered to work with "all makes". Now you know the opinion of someone that has been selling coolants for as long as I have lubricants. I fully agree with RootesRooter 's statement.