• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Modified class

65beam

Donation Time
Joel,
I can't wait to see your Alpine! Jean and I were talking about it yesterday and the things you're doing. Maybe you can do some work on her LeMans that used to be a race car. It needs a vintage roll bar. Old guys like us with OCC don't die. We just haunt.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Quite the discussion, I only mentioned modified class, not the definition of modified.
Tom j

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I once drove a Sunbeam to a popular-vote show in the mountains north of here.

I was told to "park over there with the foreign cars."

I wasn't surprised that the popular-vote top award went for a 57 Chevy, and never returned.

On the other hand, finding Concours judges that know the details of our Sunbeams isn't always easy to do.

Probably the smaller the show, the bigger the problem with finding enough knowledgeable judges and the likelihood
of a popular-vote-show goes up.

I'd like to see the major east and west coast clubs plus knowledgable individuals work out a "concours checklist" and make it easier on folks trying to hold a smaller event.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I once drove a Sunbeam to a popular-vote show in the mountains north of here.

I was told to "park over there with the foreign cars."

I wasn't surprised that the popular-vote top award went for a 57 Chevy, and never returned.

On the other hand, finding Concours judges that know the details of our Sunbeams isn't always easy to do.

Probably the smaller the show, the bigger the problem with finding enough knowledgeable judges and the likelihood
of a popular-vote-show goes up.

I'd like to see the major east and west coast clubs plus knowledgable individuals work out a "concours checklist" and make it easier on folks trying to hold a smaller event.
Allan it seems that there is a move afoot for all parties to get together on common ground ???? however all I said was their should a distinction between modified and personalized and you are right about the 57 Chevy been there done that competitor voting works though ! and by the way want some more wire wheels? FREE

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I go to a show that does competitor voting that I think works good. The competitors vote for the cars they like, then the top 10 car are lined up in a new area, then the top 10 competitors vote for the best of show. This also keeps the clubs with the most members from winning.
IMG_2860-L.jpg

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I admire original cars and certainly appreciate the effort required to keep them that way.

Having said that, I don't see what Ford Model A clubs with their EXTENSIVE judging book has to do with Alpines or the SAOCA.

The SAOCA I know has always been about cars that are driven and I don't think there is much support among SAOCA members for concours style judging.

Put me in the "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" category.

Why is it that posts pushing for concours style judging almost always appear in the Modified Alpine forum?
Barry, I drove my 1932 Ford 5-window rumble seat coupe everywhere and it never saw a trailer. It was on the cover of Performance CARS mag and the center-fold. It also made a color feature in Rod Action mag as well as a few other and it won its class at the Dallas Autorama. When people asked what happens when it rains, I replied, IT GETS WET! Cars were built to carry people from A to B...not sit in a garage. The modified 289 Mustang V8 moved it down the highway with power and the late-model suspension gave it a smooth ride. I look forward to DRIVING my SV with Ford 2.3 four cylinder and it will be built for the road...not the garage to just look at. I also appreciate those who keep things AS BUILT, but for me...why build it if you can't drive it?