• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pulleys for 2.8 V6

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Another question setting up the V6, I have pulleys I bought from a member. The fan pulley is 5 inch diameter and fits water pump fine but the 5 ⅝ inch pulley for the harmonic damper has correct 1 5/16 ID but a bolt hole circle of 2 inches. The harmonic damper on the ’86 has a 2 ⅝ bolt circle. Do I have to find a Mustang II damper or is there a different pulley available to fit the ’86 damper? Also do I have the right diameter pulleys?

sd_pace

Donation Time
you would prefer the mustang II drive pulley... it is shorter than the bronco pulley. also the waterpump and pulley 74-78 2.8L

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks, I have the '78 water pump & pulley. That pulley centerline is 1 ½ inch out from the face of the timing cover. I think I have a '78 drive pulley but it doesn't fit the '86 harmonic damper (wrong bolt circle). Even if the bolt circles matched the pulley centerline would be out 2 ½ inches from the face of the timing cover so the pulleys wouldn't line up. Do you think it's the '78 damper that I need or do I have the wrong pulley?

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Steve, I just found the photo you posted back in March (attached) so I see the difference in the length. So I need the shorter one as shown on the right. Does anyone have an extra that they would part with (sell)? I have the single groove pulley that probably fits the shorter damper. Thanks.

Attachments

• pulleys.jpg
    pulleys.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 41

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi JR,

All you need to do is have the extra length of the tube that goes into the engine, turned down to the length of the short one. Make sure that the length of the tube is the same from the tip top the pulley face, so your grooves align. If you have more than one groove on the pulley, you can have the outer groove turned off.

Steve, I just found the photo you posted back in March (attached) so I see the difference in the length. So I need the shorter one as shown on the right. Does anyone have an extra that they would part with (sell)? I have the single groove pulley that probably fits the shorter damper. Thanks.

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for reminding me that I can have the extra length machined off. That's probably what I will have to do. But then I'll also have to find a pulley. My engine didn't come with one so I bought a pulley that fits a Mustang II. It doesn't have the same bolt circle.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
JR, If you get a chance send me a PIC of yours to my E-mail....I'll try to help,