• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 starter and flywheel problem

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
auto trans spacer

My engine came from an automatic. I used this space to make my pilot bearing adaptor as it was already the correct thickness to make everything work. I had it machined to accept a sealed bearing for the pilot bearing.

John in Colorado

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I just remembered why the flex plate adapter will not work as a spacer for the flywheel. The adapter needs to have an indexing ring in order to fit the flywheel, and the automatic spacer has the center hole too large to make an indexing ring to locate the flywheel. The crank side of the adapter indexes on the crank, and the other side needs to have a smaller hole in order to allow for an indexing ring to fit inside the hole of the flywheel. The automatic flex plate adapter has the same size hole all the way through it. Sorry I didn't remember why I never used the flex plate spacer.

Fordtootsie

Donation Time
After I index my engine mounts again and remove the engine I will tell you how I made the spacer work on my engine. I do not know if it will work on all installations but it works fine on mine. It did require some machine work and a different size pilot bearing - two small ie thin sealed bearings.

John in Colorado

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jose/John My Pilot Shaft Adapter is made of steel and is .05mm thicker than the A4LD adapter we are discussing.

My ADapter has the indexing ring jose mentioned as needing. Pure luck maybe mine will work as a spacer for the 2.6 V6 Capri flywheel.

sd_pace

Donation Time
Well to update everyone I found another flywheel and had it faced.. and went ahead and balanced it and the pressure plate.... so this weekend if I dont have to work, I will drop the motor back in for a restart...

Did get a spacer for the capri flywheel... it will register with the crank, but needs an adapter to register with the flywheel... because it moves everything toward the tranny .... the adapter would also need to house the pilot bearing.. still pretty straight foward .