• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

2.8 starter and flywheel problem

sd_pace

Donation Time
soo .... I put the starter in the 2.8 to start the motor, but the flywheel sits about an eight of an inch from the scatter shield ... which means the starter pinon and flywheel ring gear are trying to occupy the same space :eek: an yes I have a mutt2 flywheel and clutch ... mounted to the crank the proper way... could I have a done something wrong? in order to get the starter to work I need to space it 3/8th from the bell-housing, is there a wrong flywheel?

sd_pace

Donation Time
as you can see from the images the flywheel is about an inch to close to the shield (image 2),
the next image (3 top) is a 74-78 mustang starter (bottom) a bronco starter,
image 4 shows the pinion and how the flywheel is in contact all the way up to the plate behind the gear...

I am thinking I have the wrong flywheel in there!

Attachments

• topview.jpg
    topview.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 40
  • flywheel.jpg
    flywheel.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 41
  • starters.jpg
    starters.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Pinion.jpg
    Pinion.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 42
  • FlywheelFace.jpg
    FlywheelFace.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
From that side it looks similar to my MII flywheel. But it looks like it has a slight difference in the center. Your picture looks like it has 4 different steps, for back of a better term, including the surface while mine has 3. Plus the 2 small holes next to the bolts seem to be positioned differently than mine. On mine, both holes are completely viewable, where on yours they are a bit over half. Does it look like the front side below?

Attachments

• MII flywheel.jpg
    MII flywheel.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 33
  • MII flywheel front.jpg
    MII flywheel front.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Steve,

Please send me your phone number and I will call and try to answer yout question.

soo .... I put the starter in the 2.8 to start the motor, but the flywheel sits about an eight of an inch from the scatter shield ... which means the starter pinon and flywheel ring gear are trying to occupy the same space :eek: an yes I have a mutt2 flywheel and clutch ... mounted to the crank the proper way... could I have a done something wrong? in order to get the starter to work I need to space it 3/8th from the bell-housing, is there a wrong flywheel?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
If I recall correctly, there is a slight difference between the Mutt 2 and the '74 Mercury Capri flywheels - enough that the starters are not interchangeable. Is this a possible explanation? Capri's use a Bosch starter,

Good Luck!
TR

dwolff706

Donation Time
Steve,
this picture may help... the flywheel on the right side is the correct Mustang II flywheel and the one on the left is a similar but incorrect one from a Mercury Capri.

Best,
Dave

Attachments

• flywheels.jpg
    flywheels.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 42

sd_pace

Donation Time
guys thanks for the images .. pretty sure I have the wrong one ... seems to me there was a difference between the 2600 v6 and the 2800 v6 .. I think I was sold the wrong one back in 08 and never notice it was wrong ..
but now its what to do from here...

replace the flywheel with the right one, ? (and what about the balance)

add a spacer to the crank ..?

make a starter spacer... ?

what effect will it have on the pilot spacer?

I thought i was ready to go:(

sd_pace

Donation Time
oh yea!
forgot to say it did run for 30 seconds ... i shut it down when the starter began to grind... :eek:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, I believe you have an answer to your problem....

If you don't have the correct Mutt II flywheel, I'll loan you one.

I'm scheduled to get your way maybe Monday.

Spacing the starter might put it real close to the Headers??

sd_pace

Donation Time
thanks Dan,
but I got it covered.. Tom is letting me use his will probable just replace it... but hate to pull the motor again ... whata drag..

sd_pace

Donation Time
well thats ok, Dave just a thought ... did find some Capri starters that might work but the solenoid is a little big and comes of the starter a an angle right at the header ( Remy 16414 ) still thinkin bout it

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, It's a real Bum'r to have to pull that engine and all the other stuff. But, Just think? You haven't charge the A/C unit yet:D

Always look for the Silver Lining;)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, I received an answer from jose that you now have the info to "fix" your situation.

He says that:

Quote: Dan,

I already gave Steve the info, so he's good to go. ....

....Since you wrote me for the info, I will give it to you. Steve has a flywheel from an early Capri with the 2.6 V6, which has a 3/8" spacer that goes between the flywheel and the crank. I advised him to have a 3/8" spacer made to move the flywheel back toward the transmission, then it will work just fine. The early Capri flywheels will work with that spacer.

The spacer will need a register on the flywheel side to align the flywheel concentrically with the crank. the center bore of the spacer will center the spacer to the crank. Unquote.

I sent a Thanks you to Jose for sharing his Knowledge and expertise on the 2.8 V6.

I'm not at all sure but it seems as if the 2.8/2.9/3.0 have a spacer for the Automatic transmissions ? Will they work? Not sure but, I will try to dig one out.

-

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Steve, I received an answer from jose that you now have the info to "fix" your situation.

He says that:

Quote: Dan,

I already gave Steve the info, so he's good to go. ....

....Since you wrote me for the info, I will give it to you. Steve has a flywheel from an early Capri with the 2.6 V6, which has a 3/8" spacer that goes between the flywheel and the crank. I advised him to have a 3/8" spacer made to move the flywheel back toward the transmission, then it will work just fine. The early Capri flywheels will work with that spacer.

The spacer will need a register on the flywheel side to align the flywheel concentrically with the crank. the center bore of the spacer will center the spacer to the crank. Unquote.

I sent a Thanks you to Jose for sharing his Knowledge and expertise on the 2.8 V6.

I'm not at all sure but it seems as if the 2.8/2.9/3.0 have a spacer for the Automatic transmissions ? Will they work? Not sure but, I will try to dig one out.

-

Dan,
What spacer are you referring to? My '79 Mustang 2.8 had an automatic (C4, I think). The flex plate is still attached. I sold the bell housing from the automatic a few years ago to someone that was playing with some sort of idea for it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
MikeH, The spacer I'm referring to is a bout 3/8" thick and came from and Automatic either a C3 or C4....Not being familiar with them. I saved it for future possible use.

It has the 6 hole hole pattern same as the Mutt II manual flywheel.

Haven't found it yet....In my tranny junk.

Can you take some PIC's and measurements?

Do you have another Bellhousing from a C3 or C4? Anyone?

DanR

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
MikeH, The spacer I'm referring to is a bout 3/8" thick and came from and Automatic either a C3 or C4....Not being familiar with them. I saved it for future possible use.

It has the 6 hole hole pattern same as the Mutt II manual flywheel.

Haven't found it yet....In my tranny junk.

Can you take some PIC's and measurements?

Do you have another Bellhousing from a C3 or C4? Anyone?

DanR

Is it part of the flex plate?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, It is not a "part" of the flex plate but, is used as a spacer with the flex plate .... Atleast that is the way it came apart from the engine.

DanR

P.S. It may have come from a 2.9 or 3.0 Automatic (C4)?