• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

soft top

JonPiz

Donation Time
Im now at the point on the rebuild where I need to get a soft top (rag top). Im fitting it myself seeing as I did everything else and relish the challenge. I just wanted to know if mohair is worth the money and has anyone fitted this material before. I understand its a bit more flexible to fit and will stretch more when wet and shrink to fit when it drys.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
Can you even get a mohair top ready made ? Or would it have to be custom made. I only have experience with vinyl and not for Sunbeam.
By the way. How are things in Chelmsford? I spent a little time there in the 1940/50s at my uncles grocery store. A few kid memories.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Can you even get a mohair top ready made ? Or would it have to be custom made. I only have experience with vinyl and not for Sunbeam.
By the way. How are things in Chelmsford? I spent a little time there in the 1940/50s at my uncles grocery store. A few kid memories.

In the UK mohair, double duck and canvas hoods are available from several suppliers... Checking peoples experience in fit and quality would be advisable.

In USA Robbins does mohair for s3-v alpine ... Not sure if they are special order for early cars

JonPiz

Donation Time
re soft top

I jumped in an have bought a top in blue Everflex which was used on Rolls Royce and Austin Healeys as examples. I decided against mohair as bird poo can stain it and Im not sue it was worth the extra $$