• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Hyundai Genesis 2.0 ?

Dzynr_Ron

Silver Level Sponsor
I am always on look out for a candidate for a distant drean project to put a modern 4 banger in my 67, took note of a rwd Hyundai a 2.0 with 6 spd tranny !, anyone done any measuring for fitment ? now to find one affordably as they are in 2008-10 cars ...
Ron

robertf

Donation Time
There's a couple on ebay. The transmission looks huge and doesn't have the shifter built in. I think you'll have to remove most of the tunnel and floor for it to fit

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Haven't measured, but that thing looks like a nightmare to install in an Alpine. All of the stuff hanging on it makes it very wide, probably as wide as a 302. After removing enough stuff to get it in an Alpine, it has to go back on - somewhere. But it is designed to go in just one location and I'm betting it won't fit. But the results would not be worth the effort. Only 210 hp.

It would probably be easier to install a non-turbo engine, add the turbo and have about 250 hp like Bashby did with his Nissan. Or go with a larger (2.5 ish) nonturbo and have about 200 hp.

Bill

Dzynr_Ron

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks guys, couldn't get back on for a bit, yes its wide but I thought stubby, I'll maybe wait till I can see one in person but its just a 'what if' right now anyways.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
What if! Yes, what if you settled for a nice 2.8 V6 w/t5?

It fits nicely!

I'll help where I can.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks guys, couldn't get back on for a bit, yes its wide but I thought stubby, I'll maybe wait till I can see one in person but its just a 'what if' right now anyways.

Wide and stubby means problems. The Alpine is only 19 3/4" between the rails and the news is not much better between the fenders. What you need is narrow and stubby. To make matters worse, modern four bangers tend to have wide blocks. As an example, the oil pan on the Duratec is 14" wide.

But by all means, don't give up on the engine on my say so. You might be able to work around the width by removing un-needed accessories and relocating the needed ones. That's what I did. Even carved some aluminum from the engine block. It makes more installations doable, but is a lot of work and nonstock accessories usually fit better. You end up spending gobs of time looking for stuff that is smaller or mounts in a slightly different manner. But tons of fun if you like to solve problems.

The V6 makes a nice installation and all the problems have been solved. That may be good or bad, depending on your point of view.

Bill