• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Copper Head Gasket

mickjj

Donation Time
I know I am a pain but being a relative rookie at this rebuild thing I want to get it right. So can anyone tell me if I have to use a sealent on the copper head gasket? It looks like the old one did not have anything on it and it is not mentioned in the WSM. I am stood in the garage ready to put this baby on:eek:

RootesRacer

Donation Time
WSM wouldnt mention it becuase there was never a stock copper gasket.

If you are talking about a stock "sandwich" gasket, no sealant is used but some people do use copper spray to help out.

If you are talking about a real copper gasket, the only way to seal that is o-ringing the block or temporarily with hylomar sealant.

mickjj

Donation Time
Thanks for the speedy response. It is the sandwich style gasket from Rick at Sunbeam Specialties. So here goes time to install.

howard

Donation Time
I did that operation for the first time last Fall, and used the copper spray on the gasket. It works great, and I've not had a problem with it since.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Unless I've been wrong all these years, it is important to retorque the head bolts after about 500 miles.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yes, Nick, you're correct. That will also require readjusting the valves.