• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

NEW ALPINE for restoration

atallamcs

Donation Time
I purchased this Series I with a view to restore but with modern running gear. In an earlier post I was going to go with the Ecotec engine but with further research decided to make my project easier. I have chosen the Zetec Engine, five speed etc. These are just a few "Before" pictures. By the way, still have an HLM project to sell and a Series II to sell.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/579765776gOWiuh
Bill

atallamcs

Donation Time
engine choice

The four cylinder ecotec engine is not that big. It is what comes out of the engine on each side and clearance issues. The zetec is smaller, the fuel injected throttle body (weber style) has lots of room on the passenger's side and I need only to deal with custom headers to skirt the steering issues on the driver's side. But that is doable.
Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Very cool! I have a Zetec sitting in my garage, been dreaming of dropping into my Series V.

What are you considering for the 5 speed? I was hoping to figure out a bolt in upgrade, at least as much as possible, are you anticipating much metal cutting?

Please keep us posted, I will be eagerly awaiting any progress.

afssanders

Donation Time
Love the engine. Its been a hell of a challenge. A bit of advise though. Keep it simple and stick with the T9 it's good for 225hp or the v6 one is good for 300hp. No point in waisting HP on a T5.
If I had another stab at it I'd go with camming it up and four pretty little carbs. You can easily get 175hp out of it. They sure look good too.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd, to the best of my knowledge, here are alternatives for a 5 speed for the Zetec.

Type 9 transmission and bell for the "Pinto" 2.0. This is a bolt in, but will have to come from "over there". They were never sold in a US car.

Ranger M5R1 for the Vulcan 3.0. Bolt in, will require a remoter shifter for proper gear shift location.

Quad 4 Rods bell housing to accept the T5.

Transmission from a Ford Aerostar V6 with manual transmission. These are hard to find and use the TK5 tranny, which is a looser. HOWEVER, it uses a separate bell housing which can be adapted to the use the T5.

Any transmission for the Lima 2.3 can be modified to bolt to the Zetec. It has two bolt holes that need to be "moved" and you should use stepped locating dowels.

Bill