• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by Campervanman

1. Campervanman

Hydrodipping Dashboard

not perfect - but its good enough for this year :) fortuneatly the bad bits are well hidden
  2. Campervanman

Hydrodipping Dashboard

Timber effect is cheaper (and more interesting) than a new GT dash, it needed a spruce ;) up anyway. Cleaned off the print with meths (denatured alcohol) ready to give it another go in the bath when the wife's at work.
  3. Campervanman

Hydrodipping Dashboard

harder than it looks.. need to retry again. Paprika base, dark wood grain sheet.
  4. Campervanman

Hydrodipping Dashboard

Thanks for showing the results - I'm about to try the same.
  5. Campervanman

Series IV tqch/Series II tach

Hi Tom I changed the dial and the pointer so it would look exactly the same as it was originally. Otherwise I could have just used the whole donor instrument. The pointers were quite different in colour and the centre thing. Didn't realise the counter weight was moveable...that's useful...
  6. Campervanman

Series IV tqch/Series II tach

I used a donor RVI tacho and swapped the internals into my mechanical tacho, keeping original dial and pointer. Then I used the spyda conversion. This is tuneable fir calibration and to compensate for 4 or 6 cylinders etc...
  7. Campervanman

Cooling Fan and belt problems.

That's what I have done now. Two 9" fans. I had kept the original thinking it might keep the general under bonnet temperature down.
  8. Campervanman

After a long run another fan blade committed suicide and chopped through one of the radiator cooling tubes. :o The fan is fine at speed but on both occasions the fan failed I was traveling at crawling speed on bumpy ground. The warm fan must be fluttering a little when going over bumps...
  9. Campervanman

What's the most power you've been able to achieve?

The power at wheels was 94.3bhp .. The adjusted number for engine power is 118. The torque is presumably at the wheels. Anyway.... Jose told me the conversion made the Alpine a different animal... he was right.. It makes for a very exciting change from what it was before ... :D
  10. Campervanman

An attempt to stop the pulley wheels rusting during the build may not have helped.. removed the paint from the pulleys. The metal fan didn't fit as I need to bend the blades a little to get the radiator in - so the original fan was tided up a little. It's better now. I'm getting used to the...
  11. Campervanman

What's the most power you've been able to achieve?

mostly Standard 2.8 engine (two exhaust ports), with weber 38DGMS. Tested and tuned today. 118.2 bhp, 160 ftlbs Torque Seems good enough for me :D
  12. Campervanman

The pitch of the metal fan blades looks less than the plastic one. I'll try source a local 4 blade fan from a tractor or maybe try the original sunbeam one. I can tell when the fan is slipping because the swarm of bees sound goes away..:D
  13. Campervanman

Wilwood Brake master cylinder installation ~ an tips and photos

Unfortunately no part numbers as it came out of the "gash bits" bin at work. It's rather robust for the job. Strange that I couldn't source a clevis to fit from the Wilwood supplier. I was going to get one made then found this one.:)
  14. Campervanman

Hi. My S3 V6 has its original 8 blade plastic fan fitted minus the viscous clutch. It was very noisey but moved a lot of air. Which seemed good. And also have a backup electric fan. But I kept finding a build up of fan belt dust over the thermostat cover and everywhere. I thought one of the...
  15. Campervanman

Wilwood Brake master cylinder installation ~ an tips and photos

The bit I found hard to find was the right size clevis for the end of the pushrod. Then I had laser cut a selection of spacers to move the master cylinder for best location to ensure piston is fully out when pedal is released. (a proper engineer would have calculated it correctly and made one...