• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

steering wheel boss

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
I'm looking for the two piece plastic boss center section for a series III-V steering wheel. I understand that someone is making a repro version. Does anyone have contact information for this individual?

Thanks!
Kim

Series 3
Tiger II

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
Boss may actually be called hub

Here's a photo (from someone else's car) of the pieces I need. The prior owner of my car used a torch to remove these pieces, so they are melted in spots. The wood wheel and spokes are in great condition.

Kim
Series 3
Tiger II

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
So :eek:
You are looking for the entire centre hub for your steering wheel??
The centre hub is the strength of your steering wheel. if the centre has been removed from your wheel I would be a little worried about the overall strength of the wheel if you are to install a new centre hub?

Are you trying to save a wood/GT steering wheel?

I would be looking for a good used steering wheel for your car. The problem with these steering wheels is the centre hubs can crack through to the centre spline and this is not a good thing.

I am not sure if I would try to rebuild a steering wheel that was in this shape.
These guys may be able to help but I have no idea what kind of work they do:
http://www.steeringwheelrestoration.co.uk/

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
About 5 years ago a guy in California was selling replacement center sections for Alpine and Tiger steering wheels. He had them listed on eBay and sold about 20 sets. They were made of a hard plastic (Delrin?) and came in two parts which you had to epxoy together. All of the old plastic center on the donor wheel had to be removed to fit this. Does anyone know who made these? I think a LOT of these could be sold nowadays. Eric

mikephillips

Donation Time
You can rebuild a wood wheel using a plastic rimmed one. Remove the plastic from the rim and you'll find the same 1/4" wire circle as inside the wood rim. Carefully separate the wood, you'll find a seam running around it level with where the spokes enter the wood. Depending on careful you are you can get away with only needing to touch up that seam after reassembly.

One thing on a prior comment, the plastic is mostly "decorative", it doesn't hold the rim and spokes to the center hub. Inside that plastic is a steel core that they're welded to and as long as that's not damaged it isn't really any more unsafe than an unmolested wheel.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
This is good information, it would be great to find the person who provided these centre castings.

I would also like to make the purchase.

Regards,
Andrew

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
rebuilding steering wheel

Thanks, Mike. The only wheel I have is the wood version with the bad plastic. As you mentioned, the center structure is a steel hub and it is fine. The wheel steers the car, just looks bad and has no provision for a horn button. I'm hoping the person Eric mentioned comes forth and we can have another lot of plastic centers made.

Kim
Series 3
Tiger II

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
It's pretty simple to repair the cracks in the center hub with PC-7 epoxy, then sand that down and finish with some shiny black paint (I use Krylon). If done well, you can hardly tell the difference from new. I believe PC-7 is what most of the wheel restoration folks use as well.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
If you need a complete new hub, Ken Corbin in Colorado can cast one for you for about $150. You send your wheel to him and he sends it back with a new hub. He only does them during certain times of the year, as humidity plays a role in how the plastic cures, but he does good work and is easy to deal with, at least easy for someone who doesn't have email in this day and age. :D His work (including his custom steering wheels) has been discussed several times here before. Just type "corbin" in the search engine and you will come up with his contact details and photos.