• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Mustang II Clutch????

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently got what I thought was a great deal on a MII clutch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0456934880&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT Given their scarcity, I figured that it would be worth $40 having around as a spare. However, now that I have it, I am not certain it is the correct one. The pictures below show the new clutch and the one I bought a few years ago from NAPA. They are very close, but different.

The first picture shows the differences in the mounting holes. The new clutch is the one on top with the extra holes.
1001234p.jpg

You can't tell from the pictures, but the center and outside holes line up in both clutches. I don't think they additional holes would create any problems and wouldn't worry if this was the only difference, but...

This picture shows the side view. Again, the new one is on top, NAPA on the bottom.
1001233w.jpg

Finally, this picture is the most worrying. It show the differences in the clutch fingers (I think that is what they are called). The one on the left with the higher, longer fingers is the NAPA one.
1001231d.jpg

So, do these difference just represent normal variation among manufacturers, or is one of my clutches wrong?

socorob

Donation Time
I looked at one cheaper place on eBay a while back and looked up the part number online and it brought up another place selling them as a 60 s mustang 6 cylinder clutch. I guess one of the places has the wrong information, but I'm not sure which one unless both generations of mustang used the same clutch????

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

The taller one, with the squared shoulder is a Mustang II pressure plate. The other one is for a Capri. You´ll notice the Mustang II pressure plate is a bit taller, and that is because of the deeper bellhousing of the Mustang II. The Capri pressure plate has the beveled shoulder, because of the rounded shape, and not as deep Capri bellhousing that it has to clear. They can be interchangeable, except that the throw out bearing has to be changed, because of the fingers on the pressure plates, as you noticed.

The extra holes you see around the perimiter of the Capri pressure plate, are just balancing holes. You´ll notice that they are only on one side of the pressure plate.

I recommend using the Mustang II pressure plate, because if I remember correctly, the Capri unit has a lower clamping pressure rating, since it came in such a light car, and the much heavier Mustang II needed a heavier duty pressure plate.

Jose

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I may have found a source for MII clutches. I was at the Daytona Turkey Run Car Show and Swap meet at the Daytona International Speedway last week and one of the vendors was a company that re-mans clutches for antique cars, trucks, tractors, etc. I need to call them to find out if they have the MII clutch, or if provided a core could they rebuild it. I will post more when I find out.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mustang II clutch.

unless you are after something other than stock you can get the Mustang II clutch/kit from autozone. Ask the clerk to look for 79 Mustang 2.8,v6. I got the whole kit for about $125.00, IIRC. The components were Sachs and Valeo.
I will post the part # or may have already, if you want to search posts a few months back.

Jim E

Donation Time
Part number for Autozone is NU1190M $181.99 and it is a special order item, can ask my brother in law who works there to look it up and see if it is at a warehouse somewhere and maybe how may.

Jim E

Donation Time
Talked to my brother in law at the Zone and he looked it up the vender is out of stock on that item....

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you guys are having trouble finding the clutch pack for the Mustang II.
try Phoenix Friction products, www.phoenixfriction.com. When I was looking for mine I found Phoenix and called them. The guy on the phone said "how many do you want?" They evidently stock them on a regular basis. Cost somewhere around $175.00, but I had it the next day.(Of course they're in NJ) I belive their part # is07-008, and it's for a 1977 Mustang II with a 171
V6.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Steve

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I guess I should have said, that the Capri pressure plate could work OK on a 2.8 V6 in our light Alpines, especially if the engine isn´t too powerful. The only thing you need to be careful of, is using the correct Capri throw out bearing with it.

Jose

I recently got what I thought was a great deal on a MII clutch: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0456934880&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT Given their scarcity, I figured that it would be worth $40 having around as a spare. However, now that I have it, I am not certain it is the correct one. The pictures below show the new clutch and the one I bought a few years ago from NAPA. They are very close, but different.

The first picture shows the differences in the mounting holes. The new clutch is the one on top with the extra holes.
1001234p.jpg

You can't tell from the pictures, but the center and outside holes line up in both clutches. I don't think they additional holes would create any problems and wouldn't worry if this was the only difference, but...

This picture shows the side view. Again, the new one is on top, NAPA on the bottom.
1001233w.jpg

Finally, this picture is the most worrying. It show the differences in the clutch fingers (I think that is what they are called). The one on the left with the higher, longer fingers is the NAPA one.
1001231d.jpg

So, do these difference just represent normal variation among manufacturers, or is one of my clutches wrong?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks Jose. I already contacted the seller to see about returning it, since it wasn't what they sold me. I suppose I could track down the correct throw out bearing and hang on to in 'just in case'. I'll see what happens with the seller.

kmathis

Donation Time
If you guys are having trouble finding the clutch pack for the Mustang II.
try Phoenix Friction products, www.phoenixfriction.com. When I was looking for mine I found Phoenix and called them. The guy on the phone said "how many do you want?" They evidently stock them on a regular basis. Cost somewhere around $175.00, but I had it the next day.(Of course they're in NJ) I belive their part # is07-008, and it's for a 1977 Mustang II with a 171
V6.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
Steve

I, also had a very hard time locating a new pressure plate and clutch set for my 2.8 until I read this post; and indeed Phoenixfriction.com does have them in stock and I ordered it on Tuesday and it delivered today. $151.99 including shipping.
Thanks, Steve!