• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

62 Mazpine resto-mod Phase 2

Doobs

Donation Time
For those not familiar with the build here is the thread for phase 1

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10608

Finally got the front end pulled into place on the Mazpine and got it home from the body shop, trimmed the front clip and sat it into place, I had to cut 4 inches off the frame rails to fit the front end.

Here is a pic of how i left it in March

001-4.jpg

and here it is with the frame straightened, and cut with the front clip sitting in place, now to start fabbing it all up

018.jpg

017-1.jpg

019.jpg

more to come

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

Your mazpine is really starting to take shape. Did you have the Alpine body on it when you took it to the body shop and what did they say? I look forward to seeing the project progress.

Regards, Robin.

Doobs

Donation Time
actually I explained it to the body shop months ago when i set up my appointment, when i took it there i had taken the roof off, winshield frame off and the interior was empty...when i got there a couple guys came out to look and where like..." WTF is that??? :eek:" after i explained it they thought it was the coolest thing !!!:D

Hi,

Your mazpine is really starting to take shape. Did you have the Alpine body on it when you took it to the body shop and what did they say? I look forward to seeing the project progress.

Regards, Robin.

Doobs

Donation Time
so over the next week I will be welding on the front end, building new wheel wells, finish building the wide body on the rear, then fab/weld in the wide body on the front.
After that I will be stripping down my perfect running 1995 1.8L FM Turbo miata( which was purchased to be stripped for this build) and swapping in its, steering column, heater core, dash, seats, engine, trans, rear axel, complete front cradle, all suspension, fuel tank, fuel lines, wiring, and everything under the hood. once its all in i can finish fabbing up the rad support area and some other engine bay stuff, and start building my custom front valence. Thats about the next 2-3 months in a nut shell...

that would leave the body work, and to rebuild the hard top !!!
Then its ROAD TRIP !!!!!!!

Stay tuned for more progress pics!!!!

Doobs

Donation Time
got the front clip and the front valence tacked into place. as well Just got word from Alpine1963 that my new headlight buckets and bezels are on route!!!!:D

001-7.jpg

Doobs

Donation Time
Got the front clip welded into place, cut down a miata fender and fabbed it in.
Tomorrow is the drivers fender then redo the rear quarters.
Looks sweet with the flared wheel wells

032.jpg

024.jpg

031.jpg

027.jpg

Jim E

Donation Time
Ok I have held off as long as I can on this subject might I sugest you go Monster Miata.. seems a natural Ford V8... Sunbeam....

Doobs

Donation Time
Ok I have held off as long as I can on this subject might I sugest you go Monster Miata.. seems a natural Ford V8... Sunbeam....
I thought about the V8 route...but decided to go the route I am..sticking to somewhat factory miata drivetrain.....In my shed I have the 250 HP 1.8L FM turbo engine from a 95 Flyin Miata Turbo miata I stripped for this build

Doobs

Donation Time
Looks like you are going to pull it off. I'd a never thought it possible.

Bill

OH YEE OF LITTLE FAITH

If you saw the stuff I have built in the past I suppose you may have had a different opinion, As it seems a habit for me to frankenstein cars together:D

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I just checked with God and you're going to hell.

Actually I'm just jealous as you apparently have more time and motivation than I do.

Doobs

Donation Time
Little progress today, installed the passenger quater panel properly, and fabbed in the drivers fender, painted it black to protect from the elements since Im not sure when I will actually get to the bodywork.....as well got my headlight buckets and bezels from Alpine1963 today. More tomorrow

002-7.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

001-4.jpg

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
It's starting to look like a car! I may have to invent a reason to go to Cowtown for a closer look.

Nice work.

Doobs

Donation Time
This is pretty much how the body will stay until I get all the new powertrain and suspension in, so I can finish fabbing up the rad support/valence and finish fabbing the rear quarters and inside the trunk.

001-5.jpg

002-8.jpg

Doobs

Donation Time
Its hard to believe just back in March I had these sittin in my backyard

168.jpg

171.jpg

Then they looked like this

001-3.jpg

To what I have now...It is coming together quite well, and I havent had any issues come up as of yet

001-5.jpg

Alpine James

Silver Level Sponsor
I Don't see any posts by you in the Miata forum. Worried about all those Miata owners ripping off your idea?

Looks good, especially seeing how nice a garage you don't have.

James