• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

zenith 36WIP throttle shaft bushings

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Where do folks send their Zenith downdraft carbs to be rebushed? Are there DIY options?

Got a lathe and a mill?

You will need to make a new throttle shaft as well as the bushes.
Some will turn the shafts down to the depth of the wear but the WIP shafts are pretty small diameter and making them smaller is a bit iffy as far as twisting the shafts.

oLD lIMEY

Donation Time
Try these guys they have kits with shafts for the W1A's May have them for the P's. I am having nightmares with my Zeniths right now. Check my posts for carb problems. Tony I Canada.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
A gazillion years ago when I was restoring my Alpine, I found that Jaguars had very similar Strombergs and there were places that fixed the shafts for the Jaguars. I'm figuring those places are still out there. However, even then the price made me go with Webers.

On my Porsche that came with Solexes, those Solexes are also notorious for leaking at the shafts. There are places that fix them as well. But for $800 a carb! So I put on Webers there too!!!

mightyohm

Donation Time
Has anyone worked with Treadwell Carburetor, also known as Eurasian Carburetor? Joe Curto referred me to them for Zenith rebuild/repairs.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
No but in 90 out of 100 cases the shafts are worn on the Zenith WIP 's. Keep in mind they are made from brass while the bushes are cast iron and much harder.

If you want new shafts pls. send PM. We have all of them available...

racerguy99

Donation Time
What are the symptoms for worn shafts/bushes? Fuel leak, rough/irratic idle? I need to look into mine. No leaks, but irratic idle. Seems they'd leak vacuum if worn.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Erratic idle and a generally lean mixture. False air is entering through the shafts. How to diagnose? Just grab the shafts at the center connecting portion. If there is noticeable rock the shafts are worn...

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
WIA - WIP are the same carbs with the exception of one little optional feature. Both wear the throttle shaft area. I think the body wears more than the shaft.