• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Yippee! 90mph legal in Britain!

Nickodell

Donation Time
I see in my Overseas Daily Telegraph that Britain is about to raise the speed limit on Motorways (expressways to us) to 80mph, and that the Association of Police Chiefs has told officers not to ticket drivers unless they exceed the speed limit by 10mph. As the laws stands, nobody loses their license for a first offense unless they are going more than 20mph over the limit, which under the new limit will mean 100mph. So those lucky sods across the Pond can set their cruise controls at 89mph and really get places in a hurry.

martin

Donation Time
It's going to be nice but nothing compared to the Autobahns in Germany.
I've legally done 140mph on those. :)
You really do get places in a hurry but cars get thirsty at that speed and with petrol costing a fortune right now....:eek::eek:

Nickodell

Donation Time
I'm old enough to remember when there were NO speed limits in the UK outside of "built-up areas." There was a 30 MPH sign when you entered these, and on leaving there was a slash on the sign, meaning "as fast as you like, fella." (You could be prosecuted for driving at a "reckless" speed, that being in the opinion of the cop who pulled you over.)

When the M1 Motorway opened in 1956 (?) thousands of drivers, frustrated at being confined to twisty roads, drove with the pedal to the metal to "see what old Betsy can do," with the result that there were thousands of old Betsys (Betsies?), many of them pre-WWII, or early post-war models that were just slightly revamped 1939 designs with long-stroke sidevalve engines, that had survived for years at more sedate speeds, littering the side of the M1 (and later M5), or in junkyards, with terminally busted engines.

Aston-Martin's works in Newport Pagnell were close to the M1 at the southern end, and Jaguar at the northern one, and they both tested the new cars at 100mph plus. I recall several times being on the M1 in my MG or later Rapier, at 80 or 90, and being passed by an XK140 or DB5 as if I were standing still.

Then the s*c*al*st government, following the dictum of being terrified at the prospect that someone, somewhere is enjoying himself, appointed a Minister of Transport, Barbara Castle, who proudly announced that she didn't drive and never had. One of her first acts was to impose a 70mph speed limit (the Public Service Announcement son TV and in the papers had the lying "Let's Give it a Fair Chance," as if they really would listen to the public's opinion.) And that was it for the next 50 years. Until now.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, but Nick, you know as well as I that the police never really enforced speed limits on the M-routes until the late-80's. When I was living there in the early 80's you could still go flat-out on the M's as long as you did so safely - i.e. not swerving, weaving, failing to signal, passing on the near side, etc.

I remember in the early 80's taking a Lotus Esprit from London to a customer in Edinburgh, and we did a really fun overnight trip at a *very* high rate of speed, with narry a single interruption from the gents.

Nickodell

Donation Time
True. On every trip back to the Old Country my wife and I would always rent a high-end car and burn rubber on the network of Motorways, almost always at over 80 and often 95+ As you say, the cops were more interested in people at any speed who did not appear to have proper control of their vehicles. It was amazing what distance you could cover; I recall once having to go from Sussex (on the south coast) where my sister lives, to Manchester airport with enough time to take a picture of "our" Concorde (G-BOAC, the one wife and I flew JFK to LHR in 1998), now a static display at the airport, and catch a flight to Philly. We covered the 251 miles (A25, M25, M1, M42, M6) in just 3 hours 30 minutes, including two pee and one coffee stops.

Ourconcorde.jpg

Incidentally, G-BOAC holds the record for ground speed (a combination of air speed and jetstream “pushâ€) of 1,488mph, and the JFK-LHR record time of a few seconds under 3 hours. Sad to see her reduced to a relic for people to pore over. Sic transit gloria.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
The proposal to increase the speed limit is somewhat academic as the state of our roads and the high volume of traffic makes it difficult to motor at reasonable speeds. The current limit of 70 MPH applies to Motorways and dual- carriageway roads and all others are restricted to 60 or less.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The proposal to increase the speed limit is of somewhat academic as the state of our roads and the high volume of traffic makes it difficult to motor at reasonable speeds. The current limit of 70 MPH applies to Motorways and dual- carriageway roads and all others are restricted to 60 or less.

About 10 years ago I had the opportunity to ride (oldest son was driving) on the Autobahn. My takeaway, the no limit zones were in low traffic areas. High traffic areas had limits similar to USA interstate limits. Most of the Interstates I drive on would have speed limits if in Germany. Some due to condition, most due to congestion. Around here, it is not unusual to count a cluster of 12 or more semi rigs trundling down a two lane Interstate. Under those conditions, 70 is adequate.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I was in Germany two years ago, on the 'bahn in a rental station wagon with the family and luggage. Around 80 was fine by me. Strict adherence to lane discipline is required, though. Camping in the left lane, while not passing, will get you a ticket, or run over by an angry BMW. Look real good before pulling out there, 'cause they can come up fast, too.

My son's ride around the Nurburgring (a "public toll road") was considerably quicker.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Stationed just outside of Aachen in the early 70's, my buddy and I owned an old rusty Opel (great car). I made the mistake once of passing a Citroen 2CV in the far left lane (about the only car I could pass). Someone so far behind me that I could not see them saw me and started flashing headlights. I knew what that meant and just as I got over a red Maserati sucked my doors off. That endeared me to autobahns as long as I was there. What a way to travel!!!!