• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

WTB: '69/70 1725 engine

Fastback

Donation Time
Just acquired a '69 shell that's extremely solid, but sans drivetrain. I have two correct trannies for it, but need to find a 1725 block (long or short) for it. Anybody have one available? Thanks!

(My alternative: adapt a 2.0 Lotus/Jensen-Healey DOHC engine. Same tranny.)

Wayne

65beam

Donation Time
69 block

wayne ,

will it fit under the bonnet? another question is how far forward of the front wheels will it set? TT and i have discussed different engine swaps for these cars and find a V6 won't fit and the big problem is the steering itself. i sent you an e mail about the interior.i'll look thru my engines and see if i have any spares on the shelf.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Just acquired a '69 shell that's extremely solid, but sans drivetrain. I have two correct trannies for it, but need to find a 1725 block (long or short) for it. Anybody have one available? Thanks!

(My alternative: adapt a 2.0 Lotus/Jensen-Healey DOHC engine. Same tranny.)

Wayne

The tranny is not quite the same (jensen is longer) and the bellhousing matches the lotus engine, not the rootes engine.

I may have a late 1725 block, I assume you want the type with with the side mounts tapped. I have an engine I think was a factory replacement, which often suit the arrow cars too.

Any other differences?

65beam

Donation Time
69 transmission

the transmission in the jenson is the alpine transmission.the 69 trans is longer than that used in the roadster.

Fastback

Donation Time
The DOHC 2.0 Lotus/Jensen is a big four. Yes, the question is, "Will it fit?" - haven't measured that out yet. And although the gearbox is the same (I know the tailshaft housing and bell housing are different; not sure about the ratios), this whole idea may be just that. The '69 blocks do have the side mounts, so I may settle for that instead of embarking on some hairbrained scheme. I recall TT's Mazda rotary in his fastback some years back; that was a great set-up. (This project will be after I get the 61 S2 and the 67 S5 done, or at least on the road!)

Wayne

65beam

Donation Time
69 alpine

the roto rooter also was a feat of engineering to build.if i remember correctly it had a mini rack plus lots of other work to the suspension.TT and i have talked quite a lot about the 69 i am building.the car will be lowered at least an inch to make it look better among other things.

wayne,
i checked and the only bare block that i have is the one with a chunck out of the side where the oil pan bolts up.