• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Worn Pitman Arm

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have play in my Series V Ptiman arm (play at steering wheel)....Has anyone ever removed one? Do you use a puller? Seems like I cant swing a hammer in there as there is too much metal around and near it. I sit hard to get off? I have a spare one to put on and am hoping it is the arm that is worn and not the shat on the box.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mike, I don't think it's reasonable to think replacing the arm will do anything to improve the steering slop. It's just a chunk of steel. YOu need to look closely at all teh elements of teh steering assembly while someone moves the steering wheel. Put your hand right around the various joints in the system. First see how far the steering wheel can be turned before you feel movement of the Pittman arm. If that's where the looseness (or most of it) is, you may need to adjust the steering box, or maybe need to rebuild the box and / or replace the shaft. Next test the play or looseness at the joint where the long end of the arm connects to the crossover bar. If the play is there then you need to replace that joint - or more readily replace the whole bar. Then test the other end of that bar, then both tie rod ends on each side.

I think you'll find at no time does the pittman arm itself bend ;) Nor will you find it loose on the shaft. I think some looseness could be attributed to the shaft bushing, not sure.

Tom

Nickodell

Donation Time
I sit hard to get off? I have a spare one to put on and am hoping it is the arm that is worn and not the shat on the box.

Dangerous sitting hard to get off and best not to have shat on the box.

We all make typos, and I've done my share in the past, but this gave me the best laugh of the week. Thanks, Mike.:D:D