• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

World's fastest gunslinger

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Bob's amazingly fast. I met him back in the 80's when we brought him out to do demos at competition I used to be involved with. (Steel Challenge-World Speed Shooting Championship. Always a crowd pleaser.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Back in the 50s through the 70s, Herb Parsons was probably not only the fastest, but the best trick-shot expert. When I shot competitively in England some of us met him at Bisley, the annual world marksmanship event. But this guy would have put him to shame. It's amazing that you can only actually see what happens with the high-speed camera.

agmason54

Donation Time
Hey Nick
How do you pronounce "Bisley".I am impressed that you have shot there. I have one. It's basically a target model single action Colt 45 revolver with an odd shaped 'hogs leg' or handle. I have blown many Stromberg carburators to bits with it.
You can't do that in Cleveland!!!!
AGM

Nickodell

Donation Time
Hey Nick
How do you pronounce "Bisley".I am impressed that you have shot there. I have one. It's basically a target model single action Colt 45 revolver with an odd shaped 'hogs leg' or handle. I have blown many Stromberg carburators to bits with it.
You can't do that in Cleveland!!!!
AGM

It's pronounced, somewhat unusual for some English place names, exactly as it reads, or more phonetically BIS LE (the E as in me.)

The first time I went there was shooting for my school's Air Force Cadet Force team, after we won the 5th-round of the Secondary School Championship. It was strictly .22 rifles at 100 ft. for us 15-year-olds. (We were eliminated by the team from Harrow.) 30 yards might not sound far, but the black "bull" - or 10 score - in the targets was only 1" diameter. And with "iron" sights, a U-rearsight and blade foresight. As rifles got more accurate (and marksmanship improved) they had to print the targets with a 5/16 dia. "10+" dotted line ring inside the bull to settle tied scores.

The second time was many years later when our factory team made it into the Industrial League quarter finals. This time .303 Lee Enfields at 300 yards: 20 rounds prone, deliberate (i.e. not against the clock.) 20 rounds standing, deliberate. 20 rounds free -style, deliberate (most competitors adopt the sitting position with the rifle on one knee.) Then 20 rounds in 60 seconds. This is with a bolt-action rifle, iron sights and having to reload 10 rounds from a stripper clip half way through.*

We were eliminated that time, too, by a team from - don't laugh- Joseph Lucas.

The competitions are controlled by, believe it or not, the overseas branch of the NRA (or at least were, I can't speak for 45 years later.) The NRA had five classes of proficiency in ascending order - Marksman C, Marksman B, Marksman A. Expert. Mastershot. I made it to Expert. Mastershot is not much short of Olympic standard. I had my Marksman A and later Expert badges on my range jacket (worn on the back, of course), but it was one of several things stolen from the stuff we shipped here on emigrating. The regulations on handgun ownership were so severe that I only began regular marksmanship practice with this type of firearm here in the States. Even the rifles had to be kept in the club steel safe - you could own one but not take it home - and there was a limit on the amount of ammo the club could buy in any month.

*That's nothing. The Mad Minute was a term used by British riflemen during training to describe being required to score 15 hits onto a 12" round target at 300 yds. within one minute using a bolt-action rifle (usually a Lee-Enfield). It was not uncommon during the First World War for riflemen to greatly exceed this score. Many riflemen could average 30+ shots, while the record, set in 1914 by Sergeant Instructor Alfred Snoxall was 38 hits. More than one group of assaulting German soldiers reported that they had faced machine gun fire, while in fact it was a rifle squad of ten men firing at this rate. Annually, a group of British owners meet for a mad minute competition (probably at Bisley.) Most people would be happy to hit a target the size of a long-playing vinyl record at a distance of three football fields just once.

You hear a lot about how marvellous the 1898 Mauser rifle was (it's retold many times on the History and Military Channels, for instance) but what they don't say is that it had a clumsy and slow-to-operate bolt and a 5-round non-removable magazine. In films of people firing the Mauser, you often see them yanking at the bolt several times to get it to cycle. The Lee Enfield's bolt was one of the smoothest and fastest ever, and it had a 10-round removable magazine (you could, in fact, load 11 rounds - ten in the magazine and one "up the spout" - i.e. in the chamber) although this was not permitted in competition shooting. In a tight spot you could have several loaded magazines at hand, and to reload the fastest possible way you pushed a release button to drop the empty magazine from the rifle and pushed a full one in, closed the bolt and continued shooting. Just like with a semi-auto pistol today. British soldiers would often fire it from the hip when advancing, using the thumb and forefinger on the bolt and the middle finger on the trigger, making it not that much slower than a semi-auto like the Garand.

Last edited: