• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Work on rear suspension / frame support

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi Guys,

I am rebuilding my Leaf Springs and see a bit of a problem with the rear mounts. I will need to do a little cleaning and possibly some welding/support work. Is this a typical problem with our Alpines?

I remember seeing an article about the Tiger Guys fixing the mounting points for the rear springs and some metal being added. I just looked up the article. I am just starting to see problems, should I go whole hog and do this work? Would anyone have the exact size (CAD drawings of these frame parts as shown in the article). I would like to have them Laser cut prior to doing the work if someone has the pattern information.

I guess it is time to crawl under and do some real close inspection to see how bad things really are.

All the best!
Andrew

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Andrew, Great to hear from you! How's the weather up your way?

You are experiencing some routine stuff for an Alpine especially if it has ever been on roads with salt as most northern roads.

Get it up high enough to see and work. Block adequately to keep from falling on you.

Then best to remove the entire rear suspension for visual inspection.

Check very carefully for any rust around the mounts.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Hi Dan, Good to hear from you again. The weather has been just crazy, all kinds of snow, cold cold and then all of s sudden rain. Going through a cold snap and now they are calling for rain again tomorrow. The car is never driven in the winter or on salty roads of the north. The body and floors are all original. Back in 2008 I was at the Invasion and we replaced the gear box (thanks Ian, Doug, Steve, Scotty etc.). At that time there was a few signs that a little work needed to be done. Well it is not time for sure. I will be sure to block thins up, I almost lost my twin brother from a car almost crushing him. Lucky his brother in law was quick to act. The car was on top of him (he is one big French man and literally held up the rear of the car) and another hydraulic jack was used to save him. NOT going there!

Do you think I could leave the back axle in place and just pull the leaf spings and still have enough room to do the work?

Good to chat Dan.