• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Word of warning on Wire Wheel tubes from VB

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I ordered a set of tubes from Victoria British and when they arrived I realized they were the all-rubber variety from India. That's fine if you're running cross-plys but I intend to use them on radials. My local tire shop was able to quickly get correct tubes for radials and the ones from VB go back. (VB price $20 each. Local tire guy price $10 each).

VB makes no distinction in their catalogue so word of warning to all. Maybe shame on me for not asking, but as you know when you call you get a 16 year old who doesn't even know how to spell car.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Scott, just what is the difference between conventional and radial tubes? Its been years, but I'm pretty sure I was told the difference was the thickness of the rubber.

Bill

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not so much the thickness as the ability to handle the extra heat and stress created by a radial vs. bias-ply. Apparently the tubes for crossplies would get destroyed if used on a radial, so you have to use specific tubes for radials - something I think VB should note in their catalogue don't you?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not so much the thickness as the ability to handle the extra heat and stress created by a radial vs. bias-ply. Apparently the tubes for crossplies would get destroyed if used on a radial, so you have to use specific tubes for radials - something I think VB should note in their catalogue don't you?

Yes, but once again, how does a person tell? Are they marked "Radial Tube" or anything of that nature?

Bill

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
People who check their tube thickness with a micrometer generally don't talk about it.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry Bill, wasn't following your question. Yes, the ones intended for radials are actually marked as such - I went back to my old tubes and sure enough they're marked for radial tire use.