• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wondering if i should buy one

ct360

Donation Time
So i found a 1960 Sunbeam Alpine 1 for sale. Has 90,000 original miles. They are asking $3500 it has a removable hard top with soft top underneath. It has been in a garage for the past 20 some odd years. but they have been running it every couple of months on the track. They say it is a 5 speed but i didn't think they made them in 5 speeds. Since this is really the only website that i can find that talks about these cars is it worth the investment? There is no body damage at all just a rock crack in windshield. Thank you everyone for taking a look at this.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
They may be confused on the 5 speed but there is an optional overdrive transmission which actually gives 6 speeds (3rd and 4th can run OD).

This would be distinguishable by having what looks like a directional switch on the right as well as the left side of the steering wheel.

The most important item though is to avoid getting a rust bucket since fixing a unibody of rust can be a daunting task.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It is also possible that it had an engine conversion at some point in its past, which could have included a transmission swap. A little surfing on this site should turn up numerous engine pictures, but someone here just posted a link to one for sale in IN that includes a decent early series engine photo. A Series I engine won't be identical to this, but it should be close enough to get you close.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3792758128.html

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
So i found a 1960 Sunbeam Alpine 1 for sale. Has 90,000 original miles. They are asking $3500 it has a removable hard top with soft top underneath. It has been in a garage for the past 20 some odd years. but they have been running it every couple of months on the track. They say it is a 5 speed but i didn't think they made them in 5 speeds. Since this is really the only website that i can find that talks about these cars is it worth the investment? There is no body damage at all just a rock crack in windshield. Thank you everyone for taking a look at this.

First up I notice you use the term investment, if you are looking to make money on these cars you should be looking elsewhere, lovely as they are unfortunately they are on the lower tier of desirability.

From an owners perspective, having owned my Series 1 for almost two years I still cant wipe the smile off my face, almost every day I look for an excuse to get out and about in it.

Collective wisdom here on this forum will answer just about every question you can come up with, but if I were to highlight the biggest risk for potential buyers it would be rust in the lower body sections. You need to be meticulous in searching the rocker panels, floor areas and lower wheel arches for the dreaded tin worm, unfortunately this is their biggest failing.

Just about everything else for these cars is still available, mechanically they are relatively simple and the home handyman should be able to keep one running without too much trouble; so get out there and and put a smile on your face.

ct360

Donation Time
My new Baby

I bought it and am really excited. Got her in the garage today and on the stands. The oil looks good in it (no water) will need new brakes, windshield, tires, and paint job. No rust on undercarage, body, floorboards. Been in garage for 20+ years. Last ran 2 years ago and needs some TLC. i'm ready to give it to her.

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 118

alpine_64

Donation Time
It has an aftermarket fibreglass hardtop, think its a dynaplastics one.. they are actually rarer than the factory ones.

Looks like a nice buy.. there looks to have been some work.. or some to come on the front right sill.. post some more pics i;m sure we would all love to see the car.

ct360

Donation Time
pics and questions

I'm trying to get more pics on here but this 640x480 is being a pain. Also there is a push button under steering wheel on left hand side that i think is for overdrive but how do i know for sure? I will be putting ALOT of questions on here i i want to thank everyone before hand for helping make this "Baby" as perfect as i can. Thanks

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Is the push button a little brass button? If you press and turn it will zero the trip meter.

The overdrive switch should be on the steering column opposite the indicator switch.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Do you know the car had an overdrive as original (will have OD stamped in the VIN plate) or was installed at some time? If you get under the car you can actually see the overdrive unit at the back of the gearbox, it will have a alloy round adapter plate like a tube with a rib on each end with e tapered conical drum on the back.. see image:

1963_Sunbeam_Alpne_Harrngton_LeMans_Coupe_Engine_1.jpg

Also there will be a relay in the engine bay. should be on the bulkhead to activate the OD unit.