• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wish I had a four car garage...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim, today you wish for four car garage, then it would 5, then 6, where does it end? That's why I built a two car garage. Nip it in the bud.

But, yea - I love those 1800's and AH 3000's.

Bill

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
If I could only talk my wife into parking in the driveway..........Ahhhh..An Alpine and a Super P1800...:cool:

Tom j

(like that would EVER happen)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
When we built my 'garage-mahal' it seemed easily big enough to handle all of my car needs. Now I am storing crap in the rafters. Fortunately, we did design it to accommodate a lift would would effectively make it a four car unit. Unfortunately, we broke the bank on the garage, so no lift and no Super P1800.

Fortunately, there is a Super Alpine IV in my future.:D

Nickodell

Donation Time
Bought one of the first P1800s (it was actually assembled by the Jensen Motor Works in West Bromwich, England) for my wife in 1969. She loved it to death - literally, three years later. One winter she was maneuvering in the parking lot of the apartment complex where we lived, and there had been just enough snow to disguise where the curb was. By the lousiest of luck she hit an edge of the curb just narrow enough for the wheels not to roll over it, but just high enough to hit the engine mount.

As a result, the engine and tranny were moved back several inches so that you could only engage second and top, and the front wheel geometry was affected. As the repair estimate was over $10,000 in today's money, we sold it for parts.

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Green 67. If you figure a way to get your wife to park outside, let me now how.

I'm trying to make room for John Deere A and an H tractors that really belong inside.... "Princess" (her Tahoe) takes up a stall and a half and won't budge.

sunbeammadd

Donation Time
Bought one of the first P1800s (it was actually assembled by the Jensen Motor Works in West Bromwich, England)

The shells for those early Jensen-built ones were made in the Rootes/Pressed Steel plant in Linwood, Scotland, adjacent to Rootes' car factory there.

Nickodell

Donation Time
The shells for those early Jensen-built ones were made in the Rootes/Pressed Steel plant in Linwood, Scotland, adjacent to Rootes' car factory there.

Interesting. Accounts for all the rust. I had to rebuild the rocker panels; had just finished it before the "snow job."

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Once upon a time

Hot Rod Magazine did a conversion called "Volvo with Varoom" back in the 60's. Put a Corvette engine and trans in one.

I'm confused as to why someone would do a major conversion, restore the car and not do the engine bay... You have to believe that someday someone is going to ask you to pop the hood open. :confused: