• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiring up my clock

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
I know my clock needs full-time juice from the battery. So, where is the best place to hook it up?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Depends on your definition of best. Working under the dash is a PITA, but the "hot" terminal on the ignition switch is relatively close by and should be easy to identify. After locating the hot terminal, I suggest that you disconnect the battery before making any connections. Remember that the clock will need a ground.

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Barry is right. I did my clock last week and found a spare live tab on the ign. barrel at about the 7 o'clock position (if I remember correctly) I then fitted a ring terminal to it's earth lead and connected that to a neighboring dial's earth

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you gentlemen for your advice. Will do. Barry, about working under the dash ..... I call it, "PretzelingUp."

mikephillips

Donation Time
I presume it is correct for the clock to run from the ignition hot switch with a brown wire and the ground to be supplied by the black wire that also grounds the instrument lights. That's the way it was installed in my IV back when it was new.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The Series 2, 3 and 4 wiring diagrams show clock power coming from the lighting switch with the wire color NU (brown + blue). Below is the series 2 diagram. But maybe they didn't always wire it that way. Maybe dealers sometimes installed clocks? Net net, it doesn't matter which source is used as long as you have an always hot source.

upload_2019-5-10_17-41-0.png

Mike

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
IIRC, Mike's (mamoose124) S-II Alpine has been converted to negative ground, has a Petes's / Rebel wiring harness and the instrument panel has been completely rewired. It seems unlikely that much of the original wiring layout (or wire colors) has survived.

Last edited:

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Barry is correct on the new wiring harness. I just wanted to know what the best source for constant battery power should be.