• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiring harness change

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi guys, have a new question for the pros. I started re-connecting the wiring on my S1 and ran into some confusion. It's the original harness that was in the car, and the car has all original components. (Although very dirty and rusted when I got it). There is a White with Red tracer wire going from the solenoid to the key switch and the schematic shows a red wire. The Series 2 schematic shows a white with red wire like the car has. Is it possible they started using S2 wiring mid production of the S1? My car dated to the second week of April 1960. I'll be using the S2 diagram, so no problems, but was just curious. Regards, Dave

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
The diagram for series 1 in WSM 124 does not appear to identify any wire color for the wire going from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

1680542305374.png
Mike

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
The schematic I downloaded off of this site in color shows the wire as Red, but yes, on the black & white in the WSM, it does not designate a color. Just wondering how an S2 wiring harness got into a mid-production S1. Dave

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
On the SI diagram, the wire to the solenoid appears to me to be pink (or purple), not red. Either an error or a let change, I would guess.

Tom

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
No big deal one way or the other. I'll wire it correctly. Was just curious why a later harness would be in an earlier car. Maybe a running change in mid-season?

mikephillips

Donation Time
Well, you can find that sort of thing happening and not documented. My April 65 build Alpine IVa wiring harness didn't match the series IV diagram. New one matched the old though. Found that it was effective a series V harness with a generator circuit rather than alternator. Once I used the later diagram, it all matched up and worked. And I've had the car since the early 70s so I don't see where it would have been changed before me.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
Dave, Are you absolutely certain it is the original wiring? The white and red wire from position 3 on the ignition switch to the solenoid was used on various later Series cars.
Tim R

DaveSeries1

Silver Level Sponsor
Tim, yes, the car was undercoated from being up north, and the harness was coated with it. Had the original paint beneath the harness.