• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiring Coil and distr for SV 1725

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looking for some help. My SV ran beautifully on a short trip of 100 miles. Parked it in the garage for about a week. Decided to get ready for the Furman Show last evening. It started, but ran as if on two or three cylinders. Had to have full choke to keep it running.

Checked for vacuum leaks, fuel pressure (elect pump installed last year) , timing, then changed to new plugs. Back two black, front two brown to grey (clean).

Have the stock distributor and Lucas coil installed. Help me with where the wires go. Have Pete's wiring installed. purple wire (tach) to + on coil; Pink wire (ign) to + on coil; wire from - coil to spade on distributor.
White with green strip wire to ballast; and jumper wire from Ballast to + on coil.

Is this correct?

Now attempting to set timing (hand crank) to No 1 cylinder.

DanR

Last edited:

RootesRooter

Donation Time
No other changes before it suddenly started running bad? "Back two black..." suggests its the rear carb. Maybe your electric pump is turned up too high for the needle valve or the valve itself has gotten stuck open with floating crap, either way allowing way too much fuel past it.

If you look down the carbs while its running, you'll probably see a small "river" of fuel running into the back carb.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
No changes prior to running bad on start up. CHECKED THE REGULAT AND PRESSURE GUAGE SET AT 2LBS. Same as before.

DanR

P.S. If get running again I'll check the carb for excess fuel...

Last edited:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan. If it ran properly previously and you have not made any changes to the wiring then leave wiring as is and investigate the fuel delivery and/ or carbs. Having full choke to keep it running indicates a significant fuel shortage. Is your fuel line partially plugged? Perhaps a clogged line/filter due to gas tank liner flaking off.

regards, Pete

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for the comment, Pete! It seems very odd to me that it started running bad after such a nice ride a week ago.

Wondering if it could be sucking air around a fuel line at the base of the fuel regulator? Found a tiny drop of fuel at one connection.

pruyter

Donation Time
I don't know of my experience is going to help you, but I give it a go.
A few weeks ago I had about the same with my Sunbeam Rapier series 4 which has an electrical petrol pump. The main cause of my problems turned out to be a vacuum leak caused by......a brand new carter ventilation valve from Summit (type SMP-V100) bought in the USA which costed me nearly 66 US dollars caused by the costs of dispatching this item to me in the Netherlands. The valve itself costs 7.97 US dollars. What was the problem with this valve? The engine produces at idle to little vacuum to close this valve which results in a need for much choke and a bad driving ability. So I put back the 50 year old original valve and the problem was about cured. I only needed to rise the fuel pressure a bit. This a little strange because the standard mechanical pump has a pressure of 1,75 to 2 pounds square inch and I had adjusted the pressure at 2 pounds.
Anyhow the problem was fixed this way.
So my advice is: check the carter ventilation valve, because it is possible that this valve is contaminated with oil/sludge and doesn't function as it should.
Regards,
Peter

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
pruyter, Thanks for the tips.... will double check!

Route 66: I will check the Diaphragm on the rear carb.

I missed driving my Commodore Blue to the Furman Event today:(

Otherwise had a great time with a lot of Sunbeams....

DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jay, perhaps that is a possibility. Along with the other tips I plan to get on it first of the week..... sure miss not being able to attend the Furman Event.

Just can't understand the circumstance with my car. As I said before it ran great this past year and especially the last couple of times out for drives! Sat for less than a week when this happened.