• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire Wheels Oops

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
About a year or so ago, when I first got my project, a set of wire wheels came up on ebay advertised as Sunbeam Alpine 13 inch wheels. I got them for a pretty nice price, all sandblasted, and painted, nice tight wires. I received them, and they were really nice. No problems.

Today, when I tried them on, problem. The splined hubs are too short.They are 13 inch wheels, OD measures 14 1/2 like the Sunbeam, but they are 5 1/5 versus our 5 inch. The Sunbeam hub is about 3 1/4 deep, and these are about 2 1/4 deep. So, I have to assume they are for something else. (My bad)

So, I would like to resell these on ebay if possible, but I would really like to sell them as what they are instead of screwing the next person.

Can anyone help me identify these wheels?

Thanks, Jim

alpine_64

Donation Time
About a year or so ago, when I first got my project, a set of wire wheels came up on ebay advertised as Sunbeam Alpine 13 inch wheels. I got them for a pretty nice price, all sandblasted, and painted, nice tight wires. I received them, and they were really nice. No problems.

Today, when I tried them on, problem. The splined hubs are too short.They are 13 inch wheels, OD measures 14 1/2 like the Sunbeam, but they are 5 1/5 versus our 5 inch. The Sunbeam hub is about 3 1/4 deep, and these are about 2 1/4 deep. So, I have to assume they are for something else. (My bad)

So, I would like to resell these on ebay if possible, but I would really like to sell them as what they are instead of screwing the next person.

Can anyone help me identify these wheels?

Thanks, Jim

MG midgets used a 13" wire wheel that can be fitted to an alpine but they used a shallower flatter hub that can interfere with an alpines mounting (same goes for the 14" MGB wheels) i'd guess they are the Midget wheels. The midget wheels also have a slightly deeper rim to the outside and lok a bit more agressive, might be a clue for you.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I always thought they were identical. I sold a set of Alpine wires to a Midget owner about 8 years ago. He never complained, but did I rip him off?

alpine_64

Donation Time
The issue is more likely to impact us not them. we need the extra depth (raised area) for clearence, they dont.