• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire wheels /hubs

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Here is how I did it. I have been looking at the threads on wires and no one has come up with this yet. To clean and polish the hub seat and wheel seat , where the wire wheel and hub actually match up. Maybe some have steel and this may or not relate.
Reason:
Mine like most are chrome wheels and stainless hubs. The bimetal corrosion is pretty bad some times. I wished I had taken photos of before and after. But it does' appear as rust but actually is the bi-metals slowly corroding. THAT is not good plus it maks for a some times embarassing situation if you pull the wheel and one of your buds sees the mess.

Thus what I did. "Fronts" The hub with the brake rotor off, I mounted it in the vice, and with a "clean" flat file went around the surface and removed as much of that rusty looking rib as possible, then with a 400 grit wet or dry paper sanded the heck out of it.

The rears were abit different, as I didn't remove the hubs from the car...

It is possible that you will see there is some of the distortion still in there, unless you have a real nice lathe you cannot remove it all.
Then, I mounted a split rod with 600 grit paper and in a 1/4" drill I used it like a fast file going around the hub. This shined the hub to "almost new" condition.
The wheel was basically the same way, except it seemed easier to clean up.
I do not see the the tech notes spot, so if some one wants to move this they can..;)..
Chuck
and The Pumpkin is almost ready for the road