• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wire wheel to 4 lug conversion?

Gentleman Rogue

Donation Time
so im curious what all is involved in converting my '67 to 4 lug from the wire wheels that are on it now. do i need new spindles or what? i havent had a chance to tear into it yet, but id rather get an idea of what im getting myself into before i start pulling stuff apart.

Gentleman Rogue

Donation Time
i had a feeling people were going to ask my reasoning behind this-

i dont know, i guess i just dont like the wire wheels much- id rather have some vintage road racing wheels on it- i think itd look better with them. on the other hand, i dont want to do anything that cant be undone.

so whats the verdict? more than anything im curious about how its setup with the rear end on the wire wheels...

alpine_64

Donation Time
i had a feeling people were going to ask my reasoning behind this-

i dont know, i guess i just dont like the wire wheels much- id rather have some vintage road racing wheels on it- i think itd look better with them. on the other hand, i dont want to do anything that cant be undone.

so whats the verdict? more than anything im curious about how its setup with the rear end on the wire wheels...

What you have to watch for is that the SV's have different rear hubs to the other series so you need to make sure you get the right ones. Apart from that it can be a pain to remove the wire hubs without the correct puller, and when you switch to alloys be careful what drums you have as you may need spacers to clear the counterweights on the rear drums (though SV's should have smmoth drums with the horrible self adjusters)

Apart from that is pretty straight forward.

65beam

Donation Time
wire wheels

only a few hundred of the early series 5 cars had the self adjusters on the brakes . if you could find a set of axles with backing plates and a front set of rotors/ hubs it would be an easy swap . first thing is to determine if you have self adjustors . what is the vin number of your car ?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
only a few hundred of the early series 5 cars had the self adjusters on the brakes . if you could find a set of axles with backing plates and a front set of rotors/ hubs it would be an easy swap . first thing is to determine if you have self adjustors . what is the vin number of your car ?

Hmm... I think it's more than the first few hundred. Mine is VIN B395015623 OD LRX / SAL 613827 (15,623rd car, built between May 8, 1967 and May 12, 1967) and it has self-adjusters, and I'm pretty darn sure its rear axle has never been altered.

Plus, Sunbeam Specialties has the following in their catalog:

{earlier wheel cylinder}
TO B395017552 PLUS 15 EXCEPTIONS: B395017888, 894, 896/7/8/9, 967, 904, 932, 959, 912, 929, 938, 924, 966 (SELF ADJUSTING BRAKES)

{later wheel cylinder}
FROM B395017553 OTHER THAN THE ABOVE EXCEPTIONS (MANUALLY ADJ. BRAKES)

Seems to me that this happened around the same time that the factory changed over to non-peaked headlight rims... so, if your SV car has an original set of peaked rims, there's a good chance it also had self-adjusting brakes.

And BTW, my self-adjusters still work pretty well, though one does need to make sure you have all the necessary springs.

Jim E

Donation Time
The issue I have when doing the rear hubs and seals is not only being sure you have the correct hubs when doing a change over but also knowing which seals to order. I wait until I have it apart to know what to order.