• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wire wheel hub conversion

canuck pride

Donation Time
Is the anyone out there that sells a conversion kit to change my wire wheel hubs over to a standard stud hub? mike 67 alpine.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you check eBay you'll notice I launched an auction last night for exactly what you need.

Good luck, Mark ..... volvoguys

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just to be a little more specific Mike, there is no conversion kit, but "all" you have to do is swap hubs with a car that had bolt on wheels from the start. I am sure that 20 years ago such a swap was biased in favor of the wire wheel hubs, but today you will end up being the one to pay for the swap. Your wire wheel hubs will have some value if they are in great shape, but most are worn to the point of being worth little, if anything. New wire wheel hubs (and wheels, as they need to be replaced in sets) are available, but I don't think anyone makes new bolt-on hubs. Fortunately,they generally don't wear out, so used ones are just fine. IIRC, all Series cars used the same front hubs. SV rear hubs are unique, so make certain you don't get them from an earlier car.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Wire Wheel to Bolt on's

I recently went through a conversion as you are attempting to do!

I found the front hubs easy enough but the rear came a bit later!

My Series V has the "larger dia" axle so if yours is larger make sure you get the right hub.

Now, the next thing you will run into is the right "set of wheel."

I found several decent 4 bolt wheel that needed a bit of extra work to make them ready for the paint booth.

The only draw back is that they are 13 inch in which you will find a nice set of tires difficult to obtain.

I have tried unsucessfully to get a nice "complete" set of 14 inch wheels.

Keep checking you will undoubtly find a nice set!

We might even be bid on the same set (and that would be a shame).

Happy touring,

DanR

P.S. My Series V restoration is coming along fine (I suppose) in that I just took the Body (on my Rotisserie) to my friend Johnny Ingle's shop yesterday.

Now I am trying to determine "just what gets what paint".

Commodore Blue Code 106 is original but the prior owners did a poor job of matching the colors and sprayed about every thing on the car!

Any suggestions as to what gets what?

Thanks!

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
So you "launched an auction"....

If you check eBay you'll notice I launched an auction last night for exactly what you need.

Good luck, Mark ..... volvoguys

HOW IS IT LISTED? :D

I did a search for Alpine Wheels....

Sunbeam Alpine wheel Conversion....

And a number of different searches but to no avail!

Give me a clue as to how they are listed!

I've been asking for sebveral months for 14 inch wheels, but little results.

Are your 14" ?

Thanks,

DanR

Stephen

Silver Level Sponsor
THESE ARE PRETTY GOOD TIRES FOR THE PRICE
MASTER CRAFT 13 INCH TIRES
GOOD LUCK
STEPHEN
http://www.sportcompactonly.com/MasterCraft/part_b-217_pl-3701_p-2651.htm

I found the front hubs easy enough but the rear came a bit later!

My Series V has the "larger dia" axle so if yours is larger make sure you get the right hub.

Now, the next thing you will run into is the right "set of wheel."

I found several decent 4 bolt wheel that needed a bit of extra work to make them ready for the paint booth.

The only draw back is that they are 13 inch in which you will find a nice set of tires difficult to obtain.

I have tried unsucessfully to get a nice "complete" set of 14 inch wheels.

Keep checking you will undoubtly find a nice set!

We might even be bid on the same set (and that would be a shame).

Happy touring,

DanR

P.S. My Series V restoration is coming along fine (I suppose) in that I just took the Body (on my Rotisserie) to my friend Johnny Ingle's shop yesterday.

Now I am trying to determine "just what gets what paint".

Commodore Blue Code 106 is original but the prior owners did a poor job of matching the colors and sprayed about every thing on the car!

Any suggestions as to what gets what?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Actually 14" steel wheels are probably easier to source than 13". Ford Mustang/Fairmont 14" wheels have the correct bolt circle and a usable offset. They are designed for slightly larger studs (1/2"vs 7/16" IIRC) so you must use tapered lugnuts (doesn't everybody?). Available at finer junkyards everywhere for under $10.00 each. I ran a set for years with no problems. Also 5" width is a nice upgrade.

Beware of frontwheel drive Ford wheels. Bolt circle will be correct, but offsets can cause problems.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Actually 14" steel wheels are probably easier ....

Easier if you know the make model and year of the Mustang and Fairmont.

Are they all the same? I found some late model Cougar 15 inch that had the same bolt pattern but the wrong offset. The front would take the wheel except for the upper control arm rubbed AND THE TIRE WOULD scrub the inside of the front fender a bit.

I do not particularly want the 15 inch.

Still looking for the year make and model....:)

Thanks,

DanR

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
wire wheel conversion

Fairmont produced 1978-1984 (Ford called this their "Fox Chassis")

Fox based Mustang built well into the 1990's.

Any 4 bolt 14x5 steel wheel from a 1980's Mustang should work - they were all the same - just a basic black steel wheel. The hubcaps were changed over the years to give a different look.

13" Pinto, Mustang II, and Capri wheels have all been done many times. Same caution on lug nuts as 14". The Capri "Rostyle" wheel was always a favorite of mine.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Mustang II Wheels on a SIII Sunbeam

I put a set of 74 Mustang II wheels on a Series III. I had to get some different lug nuts, but offset and fender clearance is fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 40