• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wiper wiring

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a 67 series V. I have removed the rack and cleaned and lubed it and have done the same to the motor. I have checked my wiring at both the switch and motor numerous times to be sure they are correct. I have a wiring diagram I followed plus I referenced the post from Tom H as he was helping another member in march. My wipers will not work when all the wires are connected. The horn will try to sound when I shut the wiper switch off. I disconnected the (white) wire from the double green connector and ran straight power to it from the battery and the wipers work as they should. The switch will turn off and both speeds operate normally. Why won't it operate from 12 v in the double connector but is just fine with 12v frome the battery? I know the 2nd green wire goes to the brake switch and from there to the horn. Am I getting some kind of feed back?

bashby

Donation Time
On my '67 Series-V it is wired as such: on the wiper motor: the green wire goes to +12v, the red/green goes to terminal-1 of the switch, the brown/green goes to -4 of the switch and you must connect a ground wire to terminal-6 of the switch. Perhaps the wire that provides the power has a corroded bullet connector or cannot provide sufficient current (broken strands?) to power the motor.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
First of all when you say you disconnected the "white" wire from the double green,I assume you mean the green wire from the wiper motor that has faded so badly it looks white. Peel back some of the vinyl jacket on the wiper cable and verify the slightly clearer green.

If the wiper and switch works all correctly with 12 V applied to the faded green wiper lead, but does not work when connected to the double green, then it seems 99% sure that there is something wrong with the main green circuit in the car. Use a 12 V test lamp to verify that there is 12 V at the dual connector. Use the test lamp to verify that there is still 12 V at the dual
connector when the wiper switch is turned on. If the voltage (and lamp brightness) goes away or drops a lot when the wiper switch is turned on then look at the fuse and fuse holder. The contacts there often get corroded and make a poor contact such that it can carry enough current to light a lamp but not run a motor.

You are correct about the second green wire going to the brake switch and then on to one of the horns (the Right side one). Does the right horn work when you press the horn ring? Do the brake lights work? If so, then it seems the green wire circuit has live 12 V.

You say the horn tries to sound when you turn off the wiper - that's very puzzling. If the horn ring is not pressed there is no complete circuit to the horn. Unless something else is miswired.

Tom

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Tom H,
IIRC Alpine horns always have power to them. Pushing on the horn ring completes the ground and thus sounds the horns. It appears that 67brg's wiring is allowing the horns to ground (rather poorly I surmise) via another path.

67brg,
The first rule of Sunbeam Wiring:
No matter what your experience and diagnostic skills tell you the problem is, start by checking the grounds.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd,

Yes, you are correct about the horn wiring, with power always applied and the circuit completion done via ground- at the horn ring. Still very puzzling what might be happening.

Tom

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Question on the Wiper Motor. There at three screws on the bottom. The middle one on mine had a wire going to ground. Is that correct? Rewiring my car and my wiring to the motor was all melted.
Rob

chryslerwagon

Silver Level Sponsor
thanks for the input. I have wipers now and on to the horns that don't work.
After troubleshooting the horns multiple times I have come to the conclusion the contacts for the horn ring just don't cut it. I installed a relay so the horn contacts only need to trip the relay and it's given me no further problem