• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiper Motor?

lloydel

Donation Time
I knew that my wiper motor was going, but, of course, I didn't try to replace it during the (California) dry season. Now that the rains have started, the wipers have stopped.

Can you tell me, is the motor for Series 1 the same as later models?

Is it the same as other british cars of the era?

Any clues where I could find one?

Or how about this? Since the rainny season stops by May, I don't really need wipers in the summer. Maybe I could get a Time Share?

Thanks for your help,

Lloyd

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
The series 1 ans 2 used a single speed wiper motor. Series 3 to 5 used a dual speed wiper motor.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
It might be the same as other makes

I haven't done this yet but look at the unit and then open up any parts site and check out the ones they have for sale. If they look the same they are with small differences. 1) They might not have the same sweep length, 2) some are one and others are two speed. All the BMC cars are the same. The only change I saw on my old TR when I swapped it out with a Mini part was the mounting bracket. I took the Mini one off and put on my TR, straight swap.

By the way, these are not complicated units. Search out Dan Masters (DANMAS), he has an excellent diagram on wiring them (Triumph sites).

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Before buying a new one, there are lots of simple things that can go wrong with them. Have you checked all of the electrical connections? One of them could easily be at fault.

When I bought my car the PO told me the wipers had recently stopped working. I opened up the motor and found that a lock washer had somehow wedged in between the gears. I pulled it out and it has worked fine for the last 30 years.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
You can also take them apart and regrease the motor bearings and remove all the old grease around the wiper gears and rack and replace with fresh grease-that will oftentimes bring them back to life! Also check to see that the drive cable is well greased and the wiper posts turn freely. Eric

lloydel

Donation Time
Thanks,

The electrical connections have been checked. After Christmas I will try taking it apart and regreasing.
If that doesn't work, will I have to find a salvaged one? Or are there reproductions available?

Lloyd