• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windshield Sealer

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
In short, should it be used to seal the gasket to the glass or to the frame? No known leaks, installing a new glass.

Bill

mattinoz

Donation Time
Bill, the WSM says to "apply a coating of Seelastik to the face of the weather-strip which is in contact with the outside face of the glass". WSM says nothing about frame to body sealing but it can't hurt to put a strip of sealer on both sides of the body to frame seal as well

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
What is Seelastik exactly?

I have the same question and was watching for responses. When I replaced my windshield last year I cleaned the seal (it was a VB seal that came with the car) with alcohol or something and it seemed to grip the glass well when I test fit it. However, noting the WSM called for Seelastik I figured I'd use some old black RTV I had. What a mistake, it made a mess and didn't stick to the glass at all. The RTV may have been too old, but maybe not. I ended up cleaning it all off and installing the seal with nothing. The seal seems good but it leaks again.

So, I am thinking of applying something ala the WSM. My plan now is to use the stuff I used to glue the seal together but I haven't tried it yet. It is 3M's Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive 08008. Mainly because they had it at the auto parts store.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...2K94_nid=PS7GT62TVDgsMDCVJW7L8SglMBHZ1VR0K9bl

All that said, does anyone know what Seelastik is? Is it even still available? Is there a modern/better equivalent? What do pro's use when they install windshields?

mattinoz

Donation Time
Todd, just google Seelastik. There are lots of alternatives.
Just love google or bing or whatever your fav search engine is. The info available to whatever your question, is just amazing :)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd, I used Permatex Windshield Sealer. It is clear, sticks well to glass and rubber, flows into cracks, dries to the touch rather quickly. Remove the dried stuff with acetone. The part that impressed me most is that it held the butt seam together as I diddled with the gasket while installing the stainless trim.

Oh yes, it is cheap! Less than 5 bucks.

Bill

gordonra

Donation Time
I'm not a chemist, but I play one on TV...

My company uses silicon sealants in two applications that have different requirements.

1. Sealant/adhesive must form a bond to already vulcanized silicone, glass, and aluminum.

2. Sealant/adhesive must form a bond to aluminum ceramic, glass, plastic, tin, gold.

Aplication #1 is difficult because of the previously vulcanized silicone. In that case we use acetoxy silicone sealant (easily identified by the vinegar odor - acetic acid)

Application #2 uses a neutral cure silicone to ensure no damage to delicate electronic components.

Both adhesive/sealants require moisture-humidity to cure, and do so at room temp. and versions of each are readily available at your local walmart or hardware store.

I'm just guessing, but I'd bet the acetoxy silicone would be the best for windshield because of the vulcanized rubber gasket. If I think of it, I'll ask the engineer at work and report back....

Rich

mikephillips

Donation Time
With the VB windshield weatherstrip the corners are the most important part to use a sealer with since it's not a molded seal like the other sell. That means it can pull away in the corners. I used a bit of black Permentex on mine and hasn't been a problem.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Sealant.

I had a windshield replaced by a pro years ago. He used what looked like an old style oir can that had a thick black goop in it. He stuck the tip between the glass and the rubber and squirted it all the way around the seal. A bunch of it oozed out, so he made a ball out of some of it (or had a blob of it with him) and dabbed it all the way along the seal and it picked up the extra goop. I think the stuff stayed soft and tacky. I'm guessing that is what the recommended sealer is.

Mike

mikephillips

Donation Time
It's best to seal all the way round to keep water from being forced by the wind or garvity from getting in, but if you can't the corners of the VB are a must at a minimum.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I had a windshield replaced by a pro years ago. He used what looked like an old style oir can that had a thick black goop in it. He stuck the tip between the glass and the rubber and squirted it all the way around the seal. A bunch of it oozed out, so he made a ball out of some of it (or had a blob of it with him) and dabbed it all the way along the seal and it picked up the extra goop. I think the stuff stayed soft and tacky. I'm guessing that is what the recommended sealer is.

Mike

That brings back memories. I bought one of those cans and the appropriate sealant the first time I replaced a windshield, c1978. (I actually put in an NOS windshield that I bought for something like $100 at a Long Island City Motors, which had been a Eastern Rootes distributor and still had a ton of parts.) Unfortunately, while I bought the can and the sealant, I didn't buy any solvent and ended up throwing the can away after one use because I couldn't clean it and the sealant hardened in the can. :p

mickjj

Donation Time
I just had the windshield frame re-chromed and put it all back together yesterday. The rubber seal for Seires I is not available anymore and I was afraid of using anything that would be so permenant that iwould not be able to use the seal again down the road. I decided to experiment with glazing tape which is the modern equivilent of window putty.I secured it on the glass then replaced the seal and sqeezed it on. I have not tested it yet but I am hoping it is sound. The only thing I did notice was that it makess the seal stand off the glass but if it turns out to be watertight I can live with it.

socorob

Donation Time
when you get it, it will be 1 straight piece, you have to glue it together yourself. When you do that, pull it as tight as you can around the windshield. If you dont, you wont be able to assemble the windshield frame back around it. Theres a thread on here about how to do it.