• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windshield Refitting

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I'll be putting the windshield back in my SV the weekend and just took a look at the WSM to see what the correct procedure/order was. It looks like they forgot that part in 1966. Removal instructions are there for all cars covered by the manual (Alpine included), but when it comes to refitting they appear to have forgotten about the Alpine. The other cars are there, but not ours. Is there any special order relative to re-installing the stainless trim?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I can now answer my own question for anyone else who wanted to know. The correct order is the opposite of what I expected; it is side pieces first, followed by top, then bottom. I originally thought the side pieces, which are the only ones that are attached to the frame, somehow lock everything together, but that doesn't appear to be the case. You need to do them first in order to properly locate the other pieces. All in all, this part of the re-assembly proved to be more difficult than putting the window back in, but I think I am nearly done.

"Nearly" because I still need to attach the two side channels. They both had gray rope caulk between the channel and the side piece. I think that is correct and necessary due to the rivets on the side piece, but thought I'd check before I did anything. As always, any advice will be appreciated.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Rope caulk under frame to body seal?

Jim, did you ever find an answer about what to put between the trim and the drip channel?

Also, did you use some rope caulk under the frame to body seal? There was caulk on mine when I removed it, and everyone talks about using it. However, I have a question about where to put it. The frame is not flat on the bottom, but has basically 2 rails. If I put the caulk in the middle won't it just push up into the frame? Should I put it more near the front end? Also when I took the windshield off there were some rubber rectangles under the outer studs, should I replace those, what seals up the trailing edge of the frame if it is adjusted upwards a bit?

And why does it take me a whole week to do jobs other people do in an evening? :(

Here's the original installation, where you can see the gray caulk. Also you can see a rectangular rubber gasket.

Here's the cleaned up frame and cross section of the frame to body seal. You can see the "rails" the frame will sit on.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Boy, its been so long I am not sure I remember exactly what I did. Hopefully, someone else will chime in to confirm or correct my recollection, but I know I did use the rope caulk. I had several spare side trim pieces and they all had remnants of the caulk on them. Most were black, rather than the gray sold at hardware stores, but it was definitely there. I also used the caulk underneath the frame, and think I used the whole width of the piece to make it just a little smaller than the vinyl trim. I reused the rubber end pieces, with a little caulk under those as well, but buying new would probably be a good idea.

I see you bought the adjustable nuts from SS. Good move! Sure wish I'd done that. It might be a good idea to adjust those high to begin with, so that you are tightening them as you adjust the frame. That way you will be compressing the caulk under the ends as you go, which should help insure a weather-tight fit.

Good luck.