• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windshield Frame

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I am about to the point of putting new glass into my windshield frame. This is a series I car. The frame is not pristine. Looks to be pot metal. I have been told by the local chrome shop that they don't chrome pot metal.
How do I get a good finish on the frame?
Is there someplace that sells a replacement frame?
Thanks.

socorob

Donation Time
I saw on one of those muscle car shows on Saturday morning a few weeks back a place in tennesee that chromed pot metal. Not sure if that helps any.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I thought early series windshield frames were chrome plated brass? That's the go-to solution for marine use, so re-chroming should be straightforward, except for the size of the part.

Or am I out-to-lunch on this? (Not the first time...)

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
You are right it is chromplated brass!:cool: You should have no problem getting chromed, use Browns in Tenn. or someone near you but make sure you get a good referance!

65beam

Donation Time
frame

early series frames are brass and they are a four piece unit. easy to replate but not cheap to do. pot metal such as the base for the late style wing window can be replated but again not cheap.

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Series I and II Windshield Frames

I believe the top and bottom are brass and the two end pieces are pot metal. I have some pitting on one of mine and should not pit if brass base metal.

Thanks

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Rob,
It's been several years since I had an SII pass thru my garage. I know the chrome was worn away, but I don't recall if it was the side or top.

If the frame is off the car, can you drill a small, shallow hole on the underside of the part to take a "core sample"?

agmason54

Donation Time
Beamers
Here's an SI windscreen showing brass on the upright piece.....
Agm

Attachments

• 102_3358 (Large).jpg
    102_3358 (Large).jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 67

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I guess, before I purchase another frame I will talk to my local chrome company and see what they say.
Thanks guys.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just put a windsheild in a SII last year and its brass, If it was pot metal it would not take the strain that the frame has on it!:cool:

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I agree w/ that, George.
But I think the Pilkinton windscreen is not exactly right. A little too much curve on the ends that shows itself on one corner or the other. I thought we were lucky that it did not crack.

Limey

Donation Time
I agree w/ that, George.
But I think the Pilkinton windscreen is not exactly right. A little too much curve on the ends that shows itself on one corner or the other. I thought we were lucky that it did not crack.

My Pilkington did crack:mad: Well done to get it to fit without popping.

Oliver